1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread: Whatever happened to Deiter Brock?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You say that like it's a bad thing for the Jets.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think you're wrong about this part.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm not willing to give him this much credit, but it's almost as if Rex Ryan saw what his team was becoming during the offseason and decided, "Hey, I need someone or something to shield me from the criticism that is sure to rain down upon me after we go 4-12. I can only use Sanchez as the scapegoat for so long. I need a player who will keep the headlines off me."

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I dunno. My gut feeling is that both Tebow and Sanchez will be somewhere else two years from now, carrying a clipboard.

Both were waaaaay overhyped coming out of college and drafted far too high, thus creating even more unrealistic expectations. I would rate them both as average NFL backups or spot starters, but certainly not someone you build a team around.

As for Sanchez, the Jets elected to cast their lot with him. OK, fine. Given that, the Tebow trade made zero sense unless you are looking for someone to run short yardage and goal line (which is pretty well the extent of Tebow's game). On the other hand, if you're not sold on Sanchez, just come out and say "we're looking to upgrade" and leave it at that. Put him on notice that he better perform or he'll be gone. The whole situation has just been puzzling from the get-go.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bottom line: I think they stick with Sanchez and their current approach for at least a while longer and try to learn how to run the ball. They're 2-2, same as the Patriots, Bills and Broncos. They're not a train wreck.

Whatever games they win figure to be the 13-10 variety, not 41-38. So you go conservative, try not to turn the ball over and get a couple of big plays or decent drives per game. That's how that team was built.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Wow, I did completely forget about that. It was such a small blip, as back then they were still rolling and the freshman QB getting accused didn't really move the needle with the media.

Headline is true, no one - including me - remembers that.

Now, Sanchez provides great amusement as possibly the most inappropriately nicknamed athlete in the sport.

He is no "Sanchize." And it's fun to see the Jets and their loudmouthed coach fall apart.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That sounds exacty like Tebow's game.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Except Sanchez is basically incapable of not turning it over.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

And they are a train wreck.

10. LongTimeListener

So we have a team that has no life on offense, a quarterback who gives it away like prom night, and a media and fan base that is asking what would be the harm in giving Tebow a chance. And we have a coach an ownership group that doesn't want to go to Tebow because he isn't a long-term answer. But they may be forced to do it, and it will be in their best interests if he fails because then the questions will stop.

I feel like I've seen this before.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Except -- and this is where Hoge is, I believe, on to something -- the Jets lack all the ingredients that made Tebow's heroics possible in Denver. There's no defense to keep games close. No running game to control the tempo and no receivers who can turn short passes into big plays. And thus, no chance for Tebow to "succeed" this time around.

12. LongTimeListener

Is the Jets' defense really that hopeless? They didn't look that bad against the 49ers but I haven't seen a lot of them other than that. I know Revis is a crushing blow but I thought they were at least adequate.

Broncos' D appeared to suck last year too until they got a quarterback who wouldn't turn it over in their own territory two or three times a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted