1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread: Whatever happened to Deiter Brock?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

No. Fucking no. Vetoed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was too lazy to look it up, but I actually thought, "Some Canadian will correct me if I'm wrong."

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Niners' D is great, but the week before, Christian Ponder looked great against it. The Jets' biggest problems are all on their own sideline.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Before we turn this thread into Tebow Central, can we talk about Mark Sanchez for a minute? Seriously, WTF? How is he regressing as a quarterback? Bill Romanowski caused a little stir this week by tweeting that "it's clear Sanchez doesn't love football" and that his regression as a QB can be directly linked to his ascent as a celebrity. Fair or unfair? Personally, I just think he blows, and was overrated as a player even in college. I cannot understand at all why the Jets gave him the extension he got, even if it does have some protections in it. Was someone really going to steal him away?

It's still too early for Tebow. But does Sanchez have a prayer or getting any better. Doubtful.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Wasn't Sanchez always a terrible rag-arm?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

DD, you are maybe my favorite poster, but ... Bill Romanowski?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Pete Carroll told Sanchez he was making a mistake by leaving after 16 starts. I think not having enough time in college to learn the position, the pressure of playing in the biggest market and the celebrity factor is a combination that will ultimately prove impossible to overcome. If he's the QB in Green Bay, Indy, Jacksonville, hell, even Chicago, he can't forget his increasingly shitty play through the ego-stroking of playing celebrity. If he's in a different market, he's probably forced to work on his game instead of his image.

8. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Sanchez is such an unpolished joke the Jets had to hire someone to teach him how to slide his rookie year.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A completely fair counterpoint. I throw it out there only because he's the one who starter a minor Twitter controversy about it, when someone from the NYDN called it a complete joke and Peter King chimed in, appearing to say he agreed with the Daily News guy that Sanchez really DOES love football.

I should have clarified my point. Romanowski is an idiot. But I find the Sanchez hype obnoxious. (Two photo shoots in GQ already?) I don't see any growth in Sanchez's game, and whether or not it's because he's actually working to get better is a fair debate. I don't care if he's banging teens or banging Eva Longoria. He can bone whomever he likes in his free time. But you watch him on Sundays and still can't read defenses very well, his footwork is marginal, his accuracy stinks and he doesn't strike me as being even as good as Matt Cassel. I'm just curious why there is such a disconnect between all the raves about his potential, and his actual production. Are there whispers that he doesn't work hard? That he's dumb? That he was never any good in the first place?

What in the world compelled the Jets to give him an extension after last year? I'm mostly looking for the lone, brave Sanchez defender(s) among us.

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

The way the thread is going, you may be looking for a long time before you find one.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It was only a year or so ago that some were saying Sanchez didn't work hard and wasn't committed to getting better. That he may have taken the that he guided the Jets to those AFC Title games all by himself to heart or something. He's not daunting as a QB. He's barely the third best in his own shitty division, in fact. That was the dumbest contract extension I've seen in a while, and I'm almost certain he's gone after next year. He's the next Matt Leinert, it seems.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a great look at it. I didn't know there was so much heat about his celebrity life, although I have found it off-putting. The point where I knew Leinart wasn't going to make it was when he agreed to a custody arrangement that had him flying to LA on Monday nights and spending Tuesday with his kid. Tuesdays are as important for a quarterback as they are for a coach, but he felt OK taking the day off. Made him a better father but a completely uncommitted QB. I think there is something about that USC "To The Manor Born" mindset that can affect guys if they aren't careful.

And the idea that he was the starting quarterback from the get-go ... Tebow or not, there is no way he should have been given that kind of run after his performance last season.

Woody Johnson had a chance to give Sanchez a big vote of confidence yesterday and didn't. Said the Tebow questions weren't going to end after days like Sunday because the results were "unacceptable." Gonna be a fun week.

Draft saved Draft deleted