1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for, oh, 15 years and have rarely been proven correct.

2. exmediahack

No sympathy for Tampa Bay.

Someone remind me why they fired Jon Gruden again?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did you watch both games last year?

4. exmediahack

I
    I did watch them -- they were classic battles.

Except they were on Sundays. Worst thing the NFL can do is have these two teams play on Thursday.

Thursday games are almost always turds. Even the close ones have a feel of fatigued players all throughout.

Look at this track record:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Network_Thursday_Night_Football_results_%282006%E2%80%93present%29

Oy.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He could only coach Saint Dungy's players

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Schiano's job is in Glennon's hands. If he performs well and they win six to eight games, he comes back.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was one of the craziest things to see ever. Gruden went nuts after they won the Super Bowl. He just began thinking he could do no wrong, and when a team trades multiple No. 1 picks to get you and you win a title your first year there, that's what can happen...

I think he's legitimately a very good coach, but he was a classic example of a coach going crazy when he gets too much or wants too much power.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Faneca. If I remember it correctly, part of the problem was the phrasing of the question, as if Faneca might be excited about the prospect of the rookie getting the start. Sure, a fan might be, but I doubt that's going to fire a veteran teammate up.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A very good example of why you have to be careful about giving quarterbacks too much credit for a team victory. Bledsoe completed 10 of 21 passes for 102 yards and one touchdown, the Patriots' only offensive score once he entered the game. They managed a field goal while Brady was in there.

New England won that game on defense and with special teams that scored two touchdowns, one on a blocked field goal and the other on a punt return. To say Bledsoe beat anybody that day is a bit of a stretch.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He must have saw how well that worked for Tom O'Brien.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably. I don't think Schiano ever wanted Josh Freeman as his starting QB long-term anyway and this gives him a reason to make a switch. Coach-QB arguments happen all the time, at just about every level. If the coach doesn't get to decide who he does and doesn't want to play, what's the point in being the coach?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I agree. Gruden got the GM canned and at the first sign of something other than invisibility, the owners got tired of the attitude. With as much turnover as the NFL has, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken a flyer on him... unless he's one of the guys that wants complete control over the entire organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted