1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kinda blah on the early Sunday games, except Seattle at Houston & maybe Chicago at Detroit.

Late afternoon has some intrigue with Philadelphia at Denver.

Sunday nighter (New England at Atlanta) is not bad.

For once, the best game of the week might be Monday night: Miami at New Orleans.

Someone else can add the lines.

By the way, Tampa Bay has benched Josh Freeman. Mike Glennon is your new starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000250435/article/josh-freeman-benched-in-favor-of-mike-glennon

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does TB play Seattle this year?

Nice subplot to that story.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, Nov. 3 in Seattle.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is Freeman seen as the problem in Tampa or is this all falling to Schiano? I mean, it's not like Freeman is Aaron Rodgers, but I think him being benched is pretty stunning.

Thursday night's game should be a good one. It seems the better the Niners are supposed to be, the more trouble they have with the Rams. Maybe after losing their last two, the Niners will go in and destroy them, but I tend to doubt it. As a fanboi, this game scares the hell out of me.

I think the Saints will kill the Dolphins, but I thought the Falcons would kill the Dolphins...

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe Belichick, Schiano's pal, told him he changed quarterbacks early in a season once and it worked great.

6. Mizzougrad96

Usually when that happens, it's an injury that causes the switch and then they stick with the player with the hot hand. I'm sure there are others, but I think that was the case with the Patriots, the Rams (with Warner) and the Niners with Kaepernick.

7. Michael_ Gee

Of course it was. I was just being mildly snarky. One midseason quarterback change that DID work was when Tom Landry finally made Staubach his starter, but not before giving history the amazing alternating-quarterback experiment.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Tony Romo replaced Drew Bledsoe for Dallas in October 2006 and that worked out pretty well -- the Cowboys got to the playoffs and Romo made the Pro Bowl.

Of course, that season ended when Romo fumbled a snap on what would have been the winning field goal at Seattle in the first round. So, never mind.

9. Mizzougrad96

Was Bledsoe hurt when that happened?

I can't really think of too many times when a QB was benched and then his replacement came in and tore things up.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Broncos became awesome when they benched Kyle Orton in 2011.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, can't believe I forgot that one...

12. Michael_ Gee

Mizzou, I think there are millions of Americans who've worked hard to develop suppressed memory syndrome where Tebow is concerned, and I don't blame any of them a bit!

Draft saved Draft deleted