1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 NFL thread: Let's move on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, you're absolutely right about that. I just don't see how it's that much of a disadvantage to play on Thursday when both teams are making the same turnaround.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they start automatically reviewing change of possession, there won't be any real need for challenges. Not everything should be subject to review by replay. Possession, out of bounds, etc.

It's silly to subject things like was it a fumble or incomplete pass or the spot of the ball to replay. That's like reviewing balls and strikes. If you're going to take away the officials' discretion, might as well get them off the field altogether and let the replay booth make every call.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'd have to analyze the schedule more closely. If you have to play, say, two Thursday games on short rest during the season and a division opponent doesn't have any such games, that's a big disadvantage in the long haul. Now, if every team has to do it the same number of teams, then you can rationalize it as just a fact of life.

I understand they did it in an attempt to give NFL Network some programming and convince cable systems to offer it. I don't have it in my current location and don't miss it one bit. There is more than enough televised football (and football-related news programs) for my tastes... I sure the heck ain't going to pay extra to watch yet another game every week.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I've seen arguments that the first three games should be vacated for every team.

I think it's a weird coincidence that we only have three unbeaten teams after three weeks, and just two winless teams.

The Cardinals are 3-0 for the first time since 1974. That's at least a few eras ago in the pro game.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The league isn't going to vacate any wins any more than the league was going to overturn the outcome of the Monday night game.

It will be interesting to see how loud the complaining gets if the controversial losses prevent Green Bay or New England from making the playoffs, winning a division, home field advantage etc...

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In at least a quick scan of my brain, I have never heard a dumber idea about sports.

Where and by whom have you seen these arguments?

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Commentariat at a few sites. I didn't say I endorsed the argument. But I think there's a little standard deviation in the overall league standings that is unusual.

Myself, I have never heard a dumber idea about sports than hiring a band of incompetents to officiate 18.75 percent of a league's regular season, and thinking that wouldn't stain the season.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I am curious how many of the NFL replacement refs had as little experience as the guy who signaled for the touchdown on Monday night... I think he had 3-4 years experience as a ref at the Division III level, which is basically on par with being a high school official.

It's one thing to take someone with 10-20 years doing major Division I games, which is what I think the bulk of them were, but the fact that people with no experience as a ref in major college games is unimaginable...

But the league has to live with what it did. Nobody's getting a do-over.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What was controversial about New England's loss? That field goal was good.

10. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Lance Easley still thinks he made the proper call in Seattle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/27/ref-who-ruled-golden-tate-touchdown-still-thinks-it-was-the-right-call/

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There were no Division III officials on the Monday night crew. There was at least one Division II guy and a few Texas HS officials. The guy who signaled to stop the clock is a former Big 12 official.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Worse. JUCO and high school. No NCAA experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted