1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 NFL thread: Let's move on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 25, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Well, the Twittersphere will blow up with every bad call now.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Listening to Bill Simmons' podcast on the way to work this morning, where he had Mike Lombardi on. Lombardi said there were 22 replay reversals in Week 3.
    Which, of course, leads us to another point about replay. It does its job until both coaches run out of challenges because they have to throw the red flag on two questionable or outright blown calls by halftime.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

coaches STILL misuse/abuse their two precious 'challenges,' still insisting on using them waaay too early, at non-critical times and/or at the wrong spots on the field. if used more judiciously teams would almost NEVER run out of challenges.

for the umteenth time these reactionary, hot-tempered guys fly off the handle at the first sign a call might have gone against them but can be corrected. not all blown calls are created equal. if they don't involve plays which occur when you're already in scoring range, eat it! for example, so what if an incomplete pass to force a punt was actually a first-down completion on your side of the field? chances are you're three plays away from having to punt anyway. is it worth risking the loss of a challenge on a play that is unlikely to influence the score when you might need it later at a more crucial time?

of course not. you don't challenge just because a call may have been wrong; you challenge only if the play takes your team into or out of scoring position and/or if time is becoming a factor. use more common sense, people. be more judicious when deciding whether to fling that thing. i you dont have an assistant coach calm, cool and collected enough to be your 'replay challenge advisor' go and find one.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I dunno, Shock. With the way the game is skewed in favor of the offense these days, maintaining ball possession anywhere on the field may well be worth a challenge for many teams -- Patriots, Giants, Packers, etc.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was a good move to make every scoring play reviewable. It's probably only a matter of time (1-2 years) until they do the same thing on any play where there is a change of possession or turnover.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i hear ya, michael... but the smartest coaches still won't 'throw in the flag' when it's too early or not significant enough. your point will certainly be taken into consideration...i'd think more by the teams hellbent on trying to play keep-away with the high-powered offenses than those offenses themselves.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Boy, that would slow the game down even more. I agree with reviewing scoring plays (NHL does the same thing). Hard to know where to draw the line. That is why I like the coach's challenge system. If you feel a play is important enough to use a challenge on, go for it.

As long as we are dealing with human beings, we are never going to get every single call correct to everyone's satisfaction. Some level of error has to be built into the system and you just hope it evens out in the long run.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thursday games make for a scheduling nightmare. Used to be when there were only 2-3 (usually during October), they could arrange to get 2 teams coming off a bye week to play. That way the teams had 10-11 days between games on both sides.

Obviously, if you are going to do games every Thursday, that's impossible to do. (Although I would recommend that once the bye weeks begin, trying to schedule those teams on Thursday when possible.) It's pretty damn hard physically and emotionally (and in terms of preparation) to play on Sunday, turn around with only three days in between, and play again.

Huge competitive disadvantage to teams like the Ravens and Browns. Not so much in the game itself, but in the bigger picture vs. teams that are getting a full six days to prepare for their next game.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I thought they already did that.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Looking at it differently, though, at least both teams are in the same boat (barring byes) of doing the Sunday-Thursday turnaround. The next week, they play other teams that are going Sunday-Sunday or Monday-Sunday. Wouldn't they have the advantage in that case?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, the advantage comes on the backside. Haven't heard many people argue in favor of that, though. It just really disrupts the routine when you move a game by three days.

Draft saved Draft deleted