1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 NFL thread: Let's move on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The point stands. The team hasn't hit total rock bottom. That was a lost season that teams can have. They might be somewhat adrift but, since around 2005, they're almost always in playoff contention until the last week.

A 4-12 with this collection of talent is what it would take for Jones to consider blowing it up and take a different tack, and even then he would be reluctant.

2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Jones' biggest flaw is that he will never learn the lesson he should've taken from his blowup with Jimmeh.

Several years of mediocre-to-bad teams prompted him to step back temporarily and bring in Parcells, but I knew it wouldn't last. Jones is a control freak and control freaks can only resist controlling things for so long before they go berserk.

Plus, Jones' ego is so fucking ginormous, he simply refuses to believe that he wasn't primarily responsible for putting together the three Super Bowl champion teams ... even though everybody else on the planet looks at the franchise's results since 1995 and sees that his role as GM was the common denominator in one lost season after another.

He's delusional as shit, but it's his team and he's gonna do it his way.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since I'm old as fuck, it always bothered me that Irvin got to wear No. 88 because of Drew Pearson.

[​IMG]

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The one hope for Jerry Jones is that things have soured for Sean Payton in New Orleans. If he ever reaches free agency, I don't see the Saints making any attempt to match that offer.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When Payton comes back next season and takes the Saints to the playoffs again, he'll be a god there.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Payton's stock is skyrocketing by the week. He'll be the most popular guy in New Orleans for years upon his return. He'd be an idiot to get involved in the dysfunction of coaching the Cowboys.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Money and ego are powerful things. Payton has enough ego that I wouldn't put it past him.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't his kids live in Dallas?

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

A lot of the Saints' problems are Payton and Loomis neglecting one side of the ball for a few years, letting it fall into gradual disrepair. And you see the pure rot they have for a defense now. Oh, it all appears to make him look good, but it doesn't really make him look very good.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Personally I think it's beyond coaching. This will never happen, but Jerry Jones needs to hire a talent evaluator. Someone like Ted Thompson. They could do wonders together.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. That's pretty much the owner's prerogative.

In Jones' case, what is the point of winning the Super Bowl if someone else is going to get the majority of the credit? That sucks worse than going 8-8 every year. Any coach has to be a hand-picked Yes man so that Jones gets all the credit for anything that happens to go right.

Draft saved Draft deleted