1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3: The Babe Ruth of NFL threads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the quality of a draft pick should be graded on what the player did for the team that drafted him. Jim Plunkett was a dud with the Patriots. Orlando Pace was five-time All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowler in 12 seasons with the Rams and likely will make the Hall of Fame.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Aikman belongs on the list. He had a great supporting cast. Eli is a better QB

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

You know, I didn't see Troy on the list either and I was living in Dallas when he was drafted. He and Bruce were certainly impactive and lasting No. 1s

So many No. 1s go to bad teams that aren't managed great in the front office, so I guess it's not all that ironic that so many of them don't leave much a legacy in the league.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I spent all last year telling everyone that Newton was a fluke. Then I went and drafted him for my fantasy team. I never listen to myself when I'm right!

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of the quarterbacks drafted No. 1 overall SINCE Eli Manning, who would you most like to have?

Alex Smith (2005), JaMarcus Russell (2007), Matthew Stafford (2009), Sam Bradford (2010), Cam Newton (2011) or Andrew Luck (2012)?

Others in that span not picked No. 1 overall, but the first QB selected: Vince Young (2006), Matt Ryan (2008)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The guy was past the boundary line, probably a good 3-4 yards out of bounds. He wasn't any closer than players are while they're standing on the sideline. It was just one of those things, unfortunately.
    It also wasn't just the cameraman. Rolle and Olsen wiped out three people going for that pass. It was a five-car pileup.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I drafted him this year, too. And DeAngelo Williams. I am the worst fantasy player ever.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Luckily, I have Eli as a backup.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I guess I'd pick Luck.
    Newton scored tonight when they were down 30-zip, I think, and he dances for a while in the end zone before taking a bow.
    Afterward, when he had the op to have a decent and perhaps meaningful conversation with Manning, he never looked him in the eye and was out of there in 3 seconds.
    Maybe I'd take Stafford, but I'm not sold on him or Bradford for the long haul in the NFL.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What kind of meaningful conversation were you looking for there?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably something way over your head. But, carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted