1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3: The Babe Ruth of NFL threads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 18, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Incomplete passes and out-of-bounds runs aren't commercial stoppages. They just stop the clock --- until the next play is snapped --- for no good reason.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Trur. But the stoppages help the games take 3 hours. The league wants the games to be 3 hours. Unless they think they can extend the postgame shows can't see them doing anything that would speed it up significantly.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How long are college games?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

aarrgghh... giants could've/should've been up 14-0 at panthers but settle for 10-0 with couple minutes left in first quarter. the jpp almost intercepts a pass but ends up on his back for injury tv timeout. they go to commercials before seeing what's up with jpp. terrible. at least he was ok when play resumed. still havent said a peep about jpp's injury... knee? ankle? hammy? wind?

i've been very very unimpressed by nfl net game coverage. dont get me started on the awful, endless pre-game b.s.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

17-0 with 12 minutes 'til half. this one is over. panthers defense is unspeakably awful.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Eli Manning must rank, hands-down, as the most valuable/worthwhile No. 1 overall pick since Y2K. I need to check who all was picked but he might be the most valuable No. 1 pick of the modern era. Even his fluttering passes are ripping poor Carolina to shreds.
    And I know he's got a great cast built around him, but he's the straw that stirs this drink.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The most significant names I see on the list, since Bradshaw in 1970, include Plunkett (1971), Too Matuszak (73), Tall Jones (74), Earl (79), Elway (83), Bo (86), and Peyton (98).
    Eli's in that same elite company.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bruce Smith and Orlando Pace blow Jim Plunkett out of the water, especially when you think of what they did for the teams that drafted them.

And Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer, but he's not on the level of Earl Campbell, Smith, John Elway or Peyton Manning.

But he is hands-down the best No. 1 pick since his brother.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, I didn't see Bruce's name as I scanned the list and I feel the same way you do about Plunkett, but I do think he likely had good huddle presence among his teammates like Eli does.
    I'll concur with your analysis as 'best since his brother' and we can leave it at that.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rolle hurt his knee because cameraman is too close to the field of play.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Battle of number 1's. Cam Newton v David Carr

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I love how Da'Rel Scott is getting carries at the end of this game instead of David Wilson. Has it really gotten that bad for Wilson? A Hokie now behind a Terrapin on the depth chart?

Draft saved Draft deleted