1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It's just neat sometimes to see it on TV from the comfort of your 78-degree living room.

Football was meant to be an autumn game. When the students are on winter break, the season is over. The supposed Greatest Game Ever Played was held less than one week into winter. Season over. The only reason it extends into February is because there always must be more more more franchises and more more more playoff teams which mean more more more playoff games . . . that have to be played sometime.

No sport is "meant" to be played in conditions that prevent the players from playing at their best. Sure, the occasional blizzard or monsoon game is cool to watch. Don't think America would want 17 weeks of it, though. If football was meant to be played in winter conditions, New York would be hosting its 10th Super Bowl, and Denver would already have hosted a dozen.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just a reminder:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Football in February, baby!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Never mind the playoffs. The regular season is five weeks longer than it was in 1958.

And the reason the Super Bowl is almost always in a warm weather site is the logistics of putting it on are a lot easier when it's 70 degrees. Oh, and because the high rollers want their parties and those work better when it's not freezing out, too.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The only reason.

When the season goes from Nov. 1-March 20, I'll believe football was meant to be played in the cold.

It's just a necessary evil that comes from greed, much like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If it's snowing in Dallas the first week of February, what will New York be like? Who knows?

All of the sports seasons have gotten too long. Basketball/hockey should be over by Memorial Day, but that won't happen as long as network sweeps are in May and it's easier to convince them to show prime-time games in June. Baseball has stretched its postseason a full month, which wouldn't be so bad if the regular season weren't 162 games and six months to start with.

Football needs to wrap up by the end of January. As it is this year, the Super Bowl comes four days before the start of the Winter Olympics.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I really don't see what extending the regular season accomplishes. With 16 games, it's long enough to be a legitimate test of which teams are good and which are poor. If a team has an injury, it's long enough for a player to recover and still come back and contribute without the team's season going in the tank in a month.

Whenever the season ends, chances are races are going to come down to the final few games, as it does in the NBA, NHL and MLB. What ends of happening is that the front half of the season gets devalued. If you know you can make the playoffs at 10-8, there's less emphasis on a good start. Coaches will rest players who are marginally injured to have them ready for later in the season. And the appeal will wear off like it does with the other leagues.

I'd MUCH rather see the NFL add two (or even four) more playoff teams than lengthen the regular season.

Sure, I suppose there is money to be made. How much is enough? Are we going to extend the season to, say, 24 games and play from Labor Day to St. Patrick's Day?

One of my complaints over the years is how seasons have gotten so long that there is so much overlap it makes it hard to follow as many teams/leagues.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Colts just landed Trent Richardson; good news is he likely is inactive for the 49er game or will be just given spot duty given the newness.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/18/trent-richardson-traded-to-colts-for-2014-first-round-pick/?sct=hp_t1t_a1&eref=sihp

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Yahoo. WTF, Cleveland? Unless we find out Trent Richardson has some incurable disease or was busted with 50 pounds of crack three days ago, this is one of the most baffling, one-sided trades in NFL history.
    Can the Browns front office be that dumb?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 Cleveland Browns!

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yes. Consider their quarterbacks since their return.

And I'm not 100-percent convinced, but I'm kind of leaning toward the thought that what this trade says is, "Fuck it. Weeden sucks. Might as well blow it up and start over. AGAIN!"

Seriously, I don't know why they've made this trade unless they've decided that this attempt to rebuild has already gone sour.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

How many draft picks do you think a running back averaging 3.5 yards per carry is worth?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I thought the Browns were going to have to start over the minute they wasted a 1st rd pick on Weeden.

Draft saved Draft deleted