1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. But SF better not get in the habit of turning the ball over five times per game. They're not good enough to overcome that.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Fixed.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, 16 games over 18 weeks was a cluster, and, as noted before, everyone hated it.

I would, however, love to see them eliminate the week off before the Super Bowl, if only to pull the SB back into January where it belongs.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Thursday night game is a really nice add. Considering they get a pretty late choice of games (assuming they still do it like they used to) they come up with some pretty interesting matchups because they don't ignore the human element. Chiefs-Eagles would get buried if it was on Sunday, but with the Reid going back to Philly storyline, it's a game people are curious about.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why is football in February frowned upon so much?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Doesn't hurt that the Chefs are 2-0 rather than 0-2.

7. Mizzougrad96

I hate the bye week before the Super Bowl. Hate it.

I'm not a fan of the playoff byes either. But I've yet to hear a better solution to that one because I don't like the idea of half the teams making the postseason. I just hate when you get a situation when teams clinch home field early on and then some of the top players end up not playing for 2-3 weeks.

8. Mizzougrad96

Or that Philly's offense has been so explosive.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

[/disgruntledfantasyowner]

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Regarding the 18-game schedule, the only reason the NFL keeps pushing it is so they can cut down the preseason, which many people dislike and in which games tend to draw smaller crowds because the starters don't play the whole game, if they play at all.

The NFL just needs to accept the preseason for what it is: A time to evaluate players to determine who is going to win competitions for starting spots, who fills out the depth chart and who will best contribute on special teams. Boring stuff unless it's a QB comp, I know, but it's an essential part of the game.

If the NFL was really smart, they'd figure out a way to make the preseason a more fan-friendly experience. The appeal of spring training in MLB is, in part, the chance to see some of the players up close and perhaps get autographs. So why not arrange to have a retired player from the host team make an appearance at an NFL preseason game to sign autographs or find a way to arrange for a current player and a draft pick do a "meet and greet" with fans?

The NFL's attempt to promote the preseason as a chance to see who might emerge into a top player isn't a bad idea, but finding some way to make it fan friendly would be ideal.

Oh, and I agree that the bye week before the Super Bowl needs to go. Put the Pro Bowl back to the week after the Super Bowl. Personally, I'd just dump the Pro Bowl but I know that won't happen as long as certain players can earn bonus money for being named to it.

11. Mizzougrad96

Most leagues have their playoffs done by Week 15, so it's not really that. I like the idea of more teams having something to play for later in the season, but if eight teams from each conference make it, there's going to be a lot of 8-8 and 7-9 teams in the playoffs... Hell, even with the current system, that still sometimes happens...

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good question.

I would rather see the season start in mid-September and run later.

But March would be crossing the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted