1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Talk of the point spreads on Week 2 thread started piling up, so ...

The Seahawks are giving 19 1/2 to the Jags. Based on this LA Times story, the smart money would be on Jacksonville. Teams favored by 20 or more are 2-8 since 1990.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-nfl-20130917,0,4228824.story#axzz2fAjdp02i

As for actual football quality ...

--Kansas City at Philly is a pretty good Thursday nighter with Reid storyline
    --Atlanta at Miami is suddenly mildly interesting
    --Green Bay at Cincinnati
    --Detroit at Washington, EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!! if Lions win
    --Chicago at Pittsburgh on Sunday night should just be one big barrel of suck and not-watch
    --Monday night, Raiders getting 15.5 at Denver, I'd take Broncos

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Panic if the Lions win? I think DC is a week ahead of that schedule.

Denver-Seattle parlay or teaser should be rather profitable this week.

Typically, the Thursday night games suck, but this week's game has potential. I'll be into it. Miami's going to beat Atlanta, too.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I usually like the Thursday night games better than the Monday night games. This week is no exception.

Packers at Bengals could be interesting...

Falcons and Dolphins should be good to see if Atlanta ever runs the ball with Jackson out.

Colts-49ers isn't bad...

4. JackReacher

Is that in SF? If so, you'd expect the Niners to come out pretty pissed off. And, the Colts haven't looked all that good so far. Could be a rout.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's in SF. I think they'll be pissed, but they're pretty banged up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. LongTimeListener

Yeah the Colts don't strike me as a major physical defense that's going to stand up to the Niners. And SF under Harbaugh is very good at winning the games they're supposed to win. Never lost two in a row yet. I think that one's over early.

7. JackReacher

I'd assume SF is a 9- or 10-point favorite this week.

A three-team parlay is just building itself!

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I like the Thursday games, too, but I wish the NFL would go to an 18-week schedule. Start Labor Day weekend and give teams an extra bye, including for teams on the Sunday before they play Thursday games.

9. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/17/nfl-safety-committees-told-teams-not-to-wear-throwback-helmets/

Seriously?

10. LongTimeListener

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Having a tight-fitting, secure helmet is a universal recommendation. Don't know why they'd say it would be OK to go a week or two without one.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the NFL moved Kickoff Weekend up about 10 years ago for the express purpose of not playing regular season games on the holiday weekend.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

They did, but it's the N-F-L. Play whenever and people will watch. Hell, a regular-season game just outdrew Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

Add an extra week with an extra bye, you get more money from the networks (who get more advertising revenue) and you improve the Thursday games.

Draft saved Draft deleted