1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Sep 22, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did he even play much at Michigan? I know he didn't play particularly well, which is part of how he ended up at West Virginia.

I'm guessing we're going to see Ratliff or Townsend at safety at least part of the time Sunday.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Not as awful as Craig Steltz was in college.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can remember them all going apeshit after the Jets started 10-1 in 1986.

Somebody on NFLN called the Jets the best team in football yesterday.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lost five in a row and backed in anyway...and if not for Mark Gastineau being the dumbest shit on the planet, the suddenly red-hot Jets are playing Denver for the AFC crown and a berth in the Subway Super Bowl.

The Jets aren't this good, but the Titans seemed to go 13-3 last year on smoke and mirrors. Shit evens out awfully quickly in the NFL.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

jets nation needs to calm down for at least a bit. do we really think the titans are about to be 0-3? it could happen, but everyody best chill for a bit.

yes,. i do believe the defense will be very strong. but the offense and magic man sanchez didn't exactly do much vs. the pats, who aren't very good on defense and were without their best defensive player. so let's simmer down, shall we?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe my mind is playing tricks with me but I remember the Jets got off to a huge start one year in the 80s, like 8-0, 9-0, something like that. Pete Axthelm went on the NBC pregame show at midseason and said they wouldn't make the playoffs and he got ripped for the prediction.

The Jets went on to prove him right. What year was that?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wow, Pete Axthelm reference.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

They were 6-2 in 1984 and finished 7-9.

No idea if that's the season in question, but that's the biggest choke they had.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think it was Paul Maguire who predicted they'd go in the tank and they did just that, in the '86 season. I was at one of those games where they totally shit their pants, a Saturday afternoon game (remember those?) against Pittsburgh.

They were good, better than this Jets team. But eventually they were who everyone thought they were.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was just looking at the Jets' schedule in 1986...I forgot how they completely fell apart in those last five games:

45-3
    17-3
    24-10
    45-24
    52-21

Then they destroyed the Chiefs (admittedly not difficult to do in the playoffs, EVER) and should have beaten the Brownies.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not only could it happen, if the Titans fail to play defense like they did last week against the Texans, I think it will happen. And I don't say that with respect to Mark Sanchez, I'm thinking about the Titans trying to slow down Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, who might duplicate what Chris Johnson did.

Heck, even when the Titans shut down the Steelers' passing game, Roethlisberger still threw for 363 yards. There are holes all over that defense, and the Titans haven't exactly plugged them yet.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Now, now. They didn't choke. Some teams win and some teams lose. That's how the game's played. The other teams just played a little better. It happens. It's football. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted