1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL: Namath vs. Unitas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm in three, one a pick-a-loser pool.

Couldn't root against NE or GB as I had each of them in one, Philly in the other.

Although if GB and NE had lost, the one I had Philly in would have gone from 113 to 10 rather than 78. So maybe I should have rooted against them; I'd be one of 10 left with a shot at almost 4K. Of course, I've been down to the final 11 two years in a row in that one and won bupkus.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Whoa, Redskins won. In convincing and surprising fashion. Looks like they woke.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brady incessantly argues to get calls. Like every chance that comes up. He gets some of 'em, too. He's had scream sessions on the sidelines with both teammates and assistant coaches. No one cares, nor should they. Same with Sherman. He's a DB, so getting close to the outside of the envelope means he'll engage in dirty play every so often.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I imagine it was discussed a few pages back, but the Bears-Steelers play before halftime was one of the wildest I've ever seen. Bears block a field goal, then pick it up on a single hop, in stride, with nothing but open field ahead. Then the guy running it in, Marcus Cooper, pulled up at the 3-yard-line or so. I've seen it speculated that he was showboating, but I saw him quoted this morning that he lost track of where he was on the field, and it does look like that to me.

Anyway, guy from the Steelers comes from behind and knocks the ball out, and the holder, who was also hustling, batted it out of the end zone. No time left on the first-half clock.

Long story short, after about 10-15 minutes to sort things out, and a false start on an untimed down, the Bears get a field goal out of the deal.

All's well that ends well, but it damn near cost them the game. Wild sequence, though.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was definitely wild. I don't think the officials knew how to enforce the rule. Berry (the holder) batted the ball out of the end zone. The referee announced that by rule, the half was over. They then claimed the play was reviewed, but really it seems like somebody in New York was telling them how to enforce it, which gave the Bears the ball at the one.

Cooper screwed up pretty badly, regardless of what he was trying to do. It could have been even worse if Berry had fallen on the ball instead of batting it through the end zone. (It looked like he did that because he stumbled as he went for the ball.) Hell of a play by Vance McDonald, who forced the fumble. Nice to see him finally do something useful.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're not nearly this gullible.

9. God, Mike Glennon is terrible. Their last regulation drive they tried to give the game to the Steelers: a dropped INT, fumble and bad snap. Glennon is horrific.
    If the Bears didn't have a running game, I honest to god think they go 0-16.

10. Dick Whitman

Have you seen the replay? Watching it live, I thought the play had been whistled dead. That's how much of a near full-stop he comes to. It was strange.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched it 10 times, including live on red zone channel. It was showboating to the Nth degree. Slow down until you are at a crawl at the goal line.

How in the FUCK can a guy carrying the ball somehow forget where the end zone is?

Its the advancement of the 'drop the ball just inside the goal line' showboating.

12. Dick Whitman

I'm not one to defend Glennon. But Joe Montana himself would have trouble working with those receivers.

Draft saved Draft deleted