1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL: Namath vs. Unitas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Sep 19, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just like the golden boy Tom Brady was.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Lions-Falcons ending -- am I crazy or is that completely unfair bullshit? Stafford's pass to Golden Tate is initially ruled a touchdown with :08 left. Review shows Tate's knee down just short of the goal line. But because the play didn't continue, Detroit had no chance to scramble to the line for the spike; instead, the mandatory 10-second runoff ended the game.

A team can get back to the line and spike it in seven seconds if the previous play was close to the line.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Play was on 3rd down, a spike would've turned the ball over on downs.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, it's horseshit. They could have easily spiked it and had one more play.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen the play 10 times and don't understand how they could call it no touchdown to begin with. It looks like his thigh hits first, when the ball is on the goal line. At the very least there wasn't enough to overturn it.

And IIRC it would have been fourth down if they'd been allowed another snap, so they would have had to run a play and couldn't spike it.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then they would have been able to try to run a play at the very least.

Fly likes this.
  7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with the play being overturned based on video, nor with the ten-second run off (by rule). I do wish, however, that a flag would've been called on the defender for grabbing Tate on his break.

8. LongTimeListener

Ah ... well in that case it's more unlikely that they can rally. But I suppose if there's time for a snap, there's also time for Stafford to try to bull it in.

I don't like that rule. Essentially you're being punished for a ref's mistake.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

No disagreement, rightly or wrongly - they could have tried.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I give a tip of the cap to whoever picks the bump music for Sunday Night Football.
    Heard everything from Atlas Genius to M83 to Queen tonight.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brady isn’t Sherman. Brady could not say and do what Sherman does.

12. LongTimeListener

Rough day for survival pools. Could have been total carnage, though.

In the big one I'm in -- 3,400 entries -- the Pats and Pack represented 64 percent of picks today. The Eagles were the No. 5 choice with 3 percent. All three were trailing in the final minute.

The Steelers (#3), Dolphins (4), Broncos (6), Panthers (7) and Ravens (8) rounded out the top eight picks. All lost. That took out 800 entries. If the other three results had come in, 95 percent of Week 3 entries would have lost, and we would have roughly 100 entries left. After Week 3.

(BTW thanks Eagles. And especially thanks to Giants clock managers!)

Draft saved Draft deleted