1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Because a lot of those schools refuse to do home and home games. Louisville has had several SEC schools back out of potential games because of that. I think Georgia was was the only upper-level SEC school that would agree to do it. Same with Big 10.

I'd love for Louisville to play some of these schools, but they won't do it.

The Kentucky win was against a really good, not great, UL team. I think people are not giving enoough credit because it's Kentucky and Kentucky doesn't win games like that.

And DanOregon, why are you overlooking the Big East? Was it the perfect bowl record last year? The four teams in the top 25 right now?

They've won 8 of 9 with wins over Georgia, Clemson and Louisville. Not too shabby. They should have been ranked in the preseason.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just see the Big East becomming another Big 12 or Big 10, playing mostly soft non-league games. It's hard to judge a league unless they go head-to-head with other conferences. I want to see big time teams play big time teams, that's all. I think you should beat at least three ranked teams to be worthy of a top 10 ranking at the end of the year.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah. Might want to rethink that after checking this link, then. It's the Big East's composite nonconference schedule for 2008-15, as published by the Daily Mail of Charleston, W.Va.

You'll see West Virginia playing Auburn, Colorado, Michigan State and Florida State. Cincinnati gets Oklahoma. Louisville has a home-and-home with Georgia. South Florida is playing Miami and Florida. Pitt draws Iowa and Clemson. Virginia Tech pops up on a couple of teams' schedules, as does North Carolina and N.C. State.

And before you pounce on UNC and NC State or even Colorado as being poor this year ... we have no earthly way of knowing how much progress the Tar Heels will make under Butch Davis or when all the first-year players at Colorado will make the Buffs a Big 12 contender again.

But I don't think you can claim the Big East is ducking anyone.

http://dailymail.com/static/bigeastfb.pdf

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If those are the teams they'll play in the coming years, I'll quit my griping. I'll never pounce on UNC, NC State or Colorado. Duke, Baylor or New Mexico State maybe. I think one of the problems you fall into with scheduling is you get these games on a schedule and a new AD or coach will weasel out of the contract to improve their bowl chances to save their job and opt for a Western Kentucky or Ball State instead.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'd like to see West Virginia play Oklahoma right now.

Over/under somewhere up there near 100.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You know, Arkansas and Clemson would be OK football teams if either had TWO FUCKING NFL FEATURE BACKS ON THE SAME ROSTER!

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Interestingly, that's actually how Colorado wound up playing WVU next year. Buffs were supposed to play North Carolina but word is that Butch backed out of the deal and WVU, in an effort to quiet the critics of its schedule and trying to get "name" teams on the schedule, swooped in and took that spot. Haven't heard who UNC is playing instead -- anyone in NCSportsJournalists.com know?

Draft saved Draft deleted