1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 17 NFL: The seeding thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Dec 29, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I don't place much blame at McCarthy's door for the 2015 collapse.

Yet I do believe that the 2014 debacle at Seattle in the NFC Title Game will haunt the Rodgers/McCarthy relationship as long as they're together. Rodgers went out there on a bad ankle and put the team in position to win...handily. The coaching decisions made by McCarthy, once up 16-0, kept the team from winning.

I'll always believe that, if Rodgers never gets back to a Super Bowl, that day in Seattle poisoned the well forever. For many years, Rodgers was able to overcome poor or weak late-game coaching, playing pitch-and-catch with Nelson, Cobb and the others. This season was more than just "no Jordy Nelson" -- but his absence exposed a lack of Alpha Dog receivers and an offensive line that doesn't give Rodgers much time.

I do think that McCarthy/Rodgers has run its course as I believe that "window" has closed.

Has winning a Super Bowl brought McCarthy "diplomatic tags" at Lambeau Field until Rodgers retires? Perhaps... but, if so, I think it's an opportunity lost when you have a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers still within the window of his prime, even if he's past his peak.

The Packers got hot five years ago, as a 6-seed, and won it all but between the 2011 loss to the Giants and the 2014 "epic collapse" in Seattle, there's also a lot of Schottenheimer-like playoff memories with McCarthy coaching them.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Was there a sale on "quotation marks"?

LongTimeListener and JackReacher like this.
  3. Deangelo Williams has a ankle sprain. He's day to day.

Draft saved Draft deleted