1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL thread: The Mike Shanahan Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ha. From what I've read so far, it was a complete show. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see or hear it live. I'm pretty pumped to watch the replay when I get home from work, though.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

You got a better theory to explain why a team would trade a first-round pick for a QB whose head coach did not approve of his team selecting him, and when said QB played in regular-season action, attempted four passes and had two incompletions and two interceptions?

That QB was Brett Favre, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From the guy who once listed every player on the roster as "questionable"

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That wasn't what I was poking fun at. It was your guess that some team will wind up giving a lot, a little, or nothing at all for Cousins. Which is genius, when you think about it.

I suppose the good news in all this is that I have the next three Sundays free. I have a few books I've been wanting to read....

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It could be because Mike Holmgren is better at football than Jerry Glanville is.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Sigh.

The Packers traded for Favre when they did because Ron Wolff was a g-d genius and had been obsessing about Favre's cannon of a arm since the 1990 draft. It didn't have anything to do with "system" or "luck." And it didn't have anything to do with Holmgren or Glandville either.

Wolf: "When I came to Green Bay in November 1991, we played Atlanta in the first game that I was here. And they let me know that [Favre] was going to be available. So, when I found that out, that was an easy sell for me to the team’s board of directors. I came in and told them there’s this guy we can get to be our quarterback and we’re going to make every effort to do that. Hopefully it won’t cost a number one pick, but if it does, we have two. And they went with me on it because I prepped them so much about it."

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All right, then Wolf was a better GM than his Falcons counterpart. (Herock, I think?)

In any case ... not really a referendum on anything other than the evaluation skills of the people involved.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, Ken Herock. Good memory.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also, Favre spent the entire 1991 season drunk off his ass and didn't give the Falcons any reason to believe he wouldn't be a complete washout.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/18/glanvilles-eye-opening-explanation-of-trading-favre/

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Right now, I wouldn't give anything more than a third or fourth-round pick for Cousins. He has to show what he can do over the long haul, not just in spot duty. The cases of Flynn, Kolb, Mitchell, etc. give me reason for caution.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

right now you wouldn't get 2 first round picks and a second for RGIII

12. printit

printit Member

I didn't see the debate on this thread and started one in part on Cousins trade value. My bad. My two cents: I think he plays well the next three weeks he could go for as high as a 3rd and a 5th. The low salary on his rookie contract is a huge bonus for any team. And there always seems to be a GM who is under a "playoffs or bust" mentality who would rather overpay for a QB who might win an extra game or two this year then build for a future that he won't be with the team to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted