1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL thread: The Mike Shanahan Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think there will be more than 4-5 head coaching openings this offseason. Been a lot of changes in the last two years.

I figure Shanahan and the Redskins have irreconcilable differences. Might be like the Jeff Fisher/Vince Young/Bud Adams deal in Tennessee a few years back. I don't know if Shanahan is more upset with Dan Synder or Robert Griffin, but I can't see all three co-existing peacefully much longer. Shanahan is going to do his thing his way, wherever that happens to be.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Regarding Shanahan in Detroit, that does make sense. The Lions' biggest problem is a lack of discipline, given how many penalties they commit, so Shanahan might be the right guy to correct that.

And it would not surprise me to see Detroit fire Schwartz, even if the Lions make the playoffs.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Detroit and Pittsburgh just don't change coaches at the rate other teams do. After a decade and more of losing seasons, Lions fans have got to feel like they're in paradise to be flirting with a division championship.

Is there any provision in the NFL rule book where a team can trade a coach, like it can a player, to another team for some agreed upon compensation? For instance, could the Redskins trade Shanahan to Houston in exchange for the Texans' first draft pick, or something else? Or is that not allowed?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh: three coaches since 1969.

Detroit: seven coaches since 1997.

You're smart.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, they can, although I'm not sure if current players can be involved. The Bucs gave up two first round picks, two second-rounders and $8 million in cash to get Jon Gruden.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Kyle does call the plays.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it's DC's defense that really sucks. That and ADIDAS' All in for Week 1

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Never understood the fascination with Shanahan. Yeah, I know he has a couple of Super Bowl rings, but he installed more running game to give John Elway a bit of a break. Never mind that it involved Alex Gibbs and an inordinate number of questionable cut blocks - and probably a bunch of chop blocks, too - but anyway …

Then it was Jake Plummer's fault.
    Then it was Brian Griese's fault.
    Then it was the defensive coordinator's fault (too many to list … he went through these faster than Snyder exhausts and dumps his toys).

None of it was ever Shanahan's fault. None of it was his responsibility. Yet who had more control of personnel than most coaches?

Hope the Ford family doesn't even think about this. Martin Mayhew has done a solid job since Matt Millen was booted. Can't see Shanahan peacefully allowing Mayhew to continue … not without some drama and ability to play the blame game as only Shanahan can.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins time.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's trying to force Snyder to fire him, right?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Seems so. But the report yesterday was that Snyder wouldn't stand in the way of this QB decision. Part of me hopes Snyder says, "You know what? Fuck it. You want your $7M next year? Coach for it, dipshit!"

I hate everything about this franchise.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cousins winning three in a row would be Shanahan's lasting gift to the organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted