1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL thread: The Mike Shanahan Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 10, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The games ...

Thursday: San Diego at Denver, in the most meaningful Thursday night game ever for fantasy football purposes. Matt Prater will bicycle-kick a 70-yard field goal, and I will be impressed.

Sunday:

A whole lot of dogmeat. I count only two games that match two teams with even a reasonable chance of making the playoffs.

New England at Miami, 10 a.m. Gronk's injury has to be the final nail for the Patriots in the long term, doesn't it?

Green Bay at Dallas, 1:25 p.m. Rodgers saw the Monday night game and immediately called McCarthy and said, "Fuck this, I'm playing."

Monday:

Baltimore at Detroit. Ravens are right in the thick of the playoff race, which has to make the rest of the AFC nervous. Lions have had about three chances at a win to put them in command of the division, and failed each time.

AND THE GAME WITHIN THE GAME:

The Redskins play at Atlanta in a game that will only be interesting for what the cameras find off the field. Will Shanahan bench RG3 to help him recover, as he said Monday he might do? Why the hell wouldn't he do that two months ago then? Is there anyone who thinks this benching would be for RG3's best interests and not a Shanny fuck-you to Snyder? If RG3 is benched, will he watch the game from Snyder's luxury box? Will Dr. James Andrews wear that snazzy jacket even though they'll be indoors?

Shanahan never did get around to denying that ESPN "report" from "sources close" to Shanahan. And now we have divas on every level -- player, coach, owner -- in a staring contest. It's so great.

And ... I am Nostradamus. From the 2012 draft thread:

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Shanny's presser yesterday was awesome. I wish he had one of those every day.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

New Orleans at St. Louis is an interesting game.

The Saints went up there two years ago (though it was earlier in the year) and got their asses handed to them, a 31-21 game that wasn't that close, in which Drew Brees was sacked six times and threw a pick-6. Stephen Jackson went off for 159 yards and 2 TDs.

The loss ended up costing the Saints a first-round playoff bye and resulted in a divisional-round trip to San Francisco (where they also got their asses handed to them). Similar scenario is in play this year if the Saints lose Sunday and the Panthers win out (New Orleans is at Carolina next week).

And even though the Rams are 5-8, they are not that bad. The NFC West is a brutal division, as we all know.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NFL Network just said the Texans would be interested in Shanahan if he becomes available.

If I'm Snyder, that's where you cut him loose and hope someone else hires him, limiting what you have to pay out.

I don't know if it would be an issue for Shanahan to take over where Kubiak was just fired. I tend to doubt it since Houston has a reputation for being a pretty good organization.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

That depends on how much control Shanahan wants over personnel. Rick Smith has the final say in Houston.

On the other hand, Smith previously worked for the Broncos when Shanny was there, so he might be willing to work something out. Then again, if Smith had issues with Shanahan while they were in Denver, he may not want Shanny in Houston.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At this point, were I an NFL owner, I'd be figuring Shanahan is well past his sell-by date. He's been a head coach for a long time, and he's more intense than most, too.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'd also make it a condition that Fredo doesn't come with him.

8. Mizzougrad96

I doubt it would ever happen, but I think Shanahan would be a decent fit in Detroit. You have a good QB who makes a lot of mistakes and the team typically underachieves or at l;east, on some level disappoints.

I don't think he wants to rebuild and I think that was some of the problem in DC. He wants a more seasoned QB or at least one who is beyond the drama that RG3 seems to be in love with these days.

Bevell would be a very good fit in DC, but as Schefter said this morning, Snyder loves big name coaches. It will be funny to see who he winds up with if people start turning him down.

9. Mizzougrad96

Or at least not as the OC. Kyle doesn't call the plays does he?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lane Kiffin is available.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What has Shanahan done in the last decade plus to make anybody think he's a good candidate for another coaching gig?

He installed a gimmicky offense that worked well for a season, and busted up his franchise qb.

Anything else?

12. Mizzougrad96

I think if you paired him with a decent GM and had him coach a team that was on the verge of doing something it might be a good fit. I don't know how he would feel about the possibility of coaching another high QB pick if he went to the Texans.

Draft saved Draft deleted