1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL Thread: Come to Minnesota and shovel snow!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The history of placekickers suggests that no accurate appraisal can be done of their work until they get to training camp. So their draft position is irrelevant, the issue is knowing you have a good one when you see one.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Keep basing your argument on the draft. I'll base mine on the games.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bubbler, if you think a guy making one or two kicks a game and not a QB throwing TDs or not throwing INTs, a LB making an open field tackle or a running back making 10 superior runs a game is what determines who wins a game, then we can just disagree.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kickers are like closers in baseball. They seldom seem important, until they screw up with the game on the line.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why, if you're a decent team and already spending upwards of a hundred million dollars in payroll would you not spring an extra mill or 2 to ensure you have a reliable kicker? I'm not saying spend a draft pick on one but if I'm a top team, I think I don't mind spending a little extra on a reliable kicker. Ask the Patriots about having one.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because there's no such thing as a reliable kicker. At the NFL level, they have their good years and bad, but they all end up around 80%.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Same as previous response. There's a huge difference between the best closer and an average one. NFL kickers are a dime a dozen, for the most part.

If you could find the Rivera of NFL kickers, you'd pay him. But he's not out there.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but you can minimize the risk.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd argue that Vinatieri was the Rivera of kickers, for a few years at least until injuries and age caught up to him. And the Colts did pay him, after he fired his first agent, who had told the Patriots that he was willing to accept a lower offer to stay with the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted