1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL Thread: Come to Minnesota and shovel snow!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Dec 15, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've haven't missed more than one or two Bears games this season. A stat-centric philosophy doesn't usually work with football.

Calling for a winning coach to be fired is right up there with wanting the backup QB and complaining the team doesn't go after enough high-profile free agents in the intellectual sports fan trifecta.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sal Alosi has been suspended indefinitely. Not for the trip, but for ordering several players to form a "wall" along the sideline. No one can figure out quite what for, but since he also lied to the Jets during their initial investigation they're not happy about it.
    Of course, farther down in the story, the Jets special teams coach denies telling Alosi to do it and accuses the Patriots of doing the same thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5922926

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can also win in spite of your coach

4. RickStain

Sure you can.

But why is that what the Bears have done?

The most common reason for winning despite your coach is elite talent, and the Bears certainly haven't had that.

I've never seen any evidence or arguments that would convince me Smith is a below-average NFL coach.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but you did say that he sticks with his system no matter what, and that is certainly one thing that limits him tremendously. Coaches should be able to adapt to their personnel.

I'll play my fanboy role again and use the Steelers as an example. Mike Tomlin's preferred defensive style is the Tampa Two. He favors a four-man line, which was one thing that caused great concern among Steelers fans when he was hired.

He was also smart enough to recognize the fact that the Steelers were built to play a blitzing, 3-4 defense. Their personnel didn't fit his style, so he adapted. That doesn't mean he has abandoned his approach. The Steelers rush four and drop into a zone a lot more than they used to. But he adapted to his players and Dick LeBeau. If he tries to shove 3-4 pegs into 4-3 holes, I don't think Pittsburgh wins a Super Bowl two seasons ago.

6. RickStain

Yeah, I'd take Mike Tomlin over Smith. But Mike Tomlin won't be on the market next offseason.

Bears fans won't be getting a Tomlin or a Cowher or a Parcells if they fire Lovie Smith.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I shoot for the middle
    I care very little
    It's the name of my game
    Robot RickStain

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not my point. Just saying that it is a pretty major weakness to be unwilling to adapt to your team's players. I simply used Tomlin as an example.

9. RickStain

Fire the coach!
    Try harder!
    Three seconds!
    The refs are out to get us!
    The paper's coverage isn't fair!

All along the same continuum of fanboi complaints.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Your poetry sucks.

11. RickStain

Feel free to copy it. I won't ask for royalties. [/crossthread]

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

That's the personality I'd prefer.

Draft saved Draft deleted