1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL Thread: Come to Minnesota and shovel snow!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So where the game will be played is up in the air:

Let's make one thing very clear here: The Vikings are working diligently to make sure Monday night's game against the Bears can be played at TCF Bank Stadium.

NFL executives are in town today to make sure this thing can happen -- these are the same guys in charge of getting Super Bowl sites ready -- and Vikings officials are spending countless hours trying to pull this thing off.

However, all that being said we continue to wait for the site of this game to be made official. I'm not trying to alarm anybody but this is not a situation where the lights can be turned on and the building will be ready to go. There are a myriad of issues that must be taken care of to pull this off.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/111936874.html

More here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21124/questions-remain-on-tcf-readiness

They spend almost $300 mil building the joint and they didn't put heating coils under the field?

Fear the Gopher or Skol, Vikings. Take your pick.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The story details about having to worry about pipes freezing and enclosing the concession stands for heating certainly seems to indicate a few corners were cut in the construction of the stadium.

The Gophers regularly play until late November. Did they not think it was reasonably possible it might get cold in Minneapolis by late November?

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hmm, Bears-Vikings ... at Lambeau? Favre cheered at Lambeau one last time? (since the Packers need the Vikings to win)

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing until I read the story, which says they'll be paid $10-$15/hour. I don't know what the difference in pay is; maybe experience.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

FYI ... Packers have put a call out that they'll need shovelers for the stands Friday.

Packers don't have a home game this weekend.

Hmmm.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nope. The original report said they'd get paid $10/hour ... that was a mistake. Just looking for volunteers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21124/questions-remain-on-tcf-readiness

"The school is looking for temporary workers to shovel snow for $10 per hour in six-hour shifts between now and Sunday. There are 20-inch drifts throughout the stadium, which has been dormant since last month. *Update: According to the Star Tribune, the university will not pay for shoveling and instead is asking for volunteers. The Vikings have removed the request from their web site."

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wonder if the Vikes will also put out a call for volunteers to pack the Mayflower trucks when they move.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fuck that billion-dollar industry for not paying people to shovel.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In the Vikings' defense, they've done a lot of shoveling the last couple years.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the university will get what it pays for. Welcome to Monday Night Football at Lambeau Field! Bears! Vikings! Come out and boo BOTH teams!
    Solid.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

In Minnesota, it wouldn't completely surprise me to see people do this.

In Detroit, they'd set the truck on fire.

In Philadelphia, they'd destroy the truck, but only after taunting and spitting on the driver.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I guarantee you it would definitely have a home game feel for the Vikings ... Packers need the Vikings to beat the Bears.

Add on that Favre (if he plays) would be cheered again at Lambeau wearing purple ... would be a surreal setting for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted