1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 14 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I found the criticism curious. The Suh call in Philly could have simply been a wrong number (the visibility wasn't great) and I think Triplette in Cincy probably had a better view of the play being in the offensive backfield than either replay showed.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you know anything abotu Triplette's history? No way he deserves any benefit of the doubt, certainly not when replay shows he is wrong. It would have been one thing if the call on the field had been touchdown and he let it stand, but to overturn the call based on those replays? Inexcusable. He should have been fired long ago. The only real hope is that the league finally does it this time. I don't often pay attention to who is officiating a game, but if I see him on the field, I get annoyed because I expect something to get fucked up.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

as long as Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder own their teams the NFC East will be more of a curiosity than competitive division.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

And Skip Bayless is already dropping quotes, implying that it's Romo's fault. Yes, Skip, because when the defense can't force a single punt, the QB must get something out of every flippin' drive or else it's all on him.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My point, at least, is that while kicking at altitude is easier than elsewhere, kicking at 10 degrees is harder, and the relative impacts of the two variables seem to indicate that if at the very least, the degree of difficulty between a kick in Denver at 10 degrees and in New Orleans at 70 degrees are somewhere between a wash and the Denver kick being more difficult.

I'll happily admit that all else (for example, temperature) being equal, it'd be easier to do that kick in Denver. But all else isn't equal.

6. printit

printit Member

Triplette is bad compared to the high bar set by most other professional officials. He's still a lot better than a non-official, and, as DanOregon pointed out, probably had a better view.
    I watched the video about 10 times and am convinced that the player swiped at the runner, missed, the attempted swipe caused the runner to fall (without being touched). This would make Triplette correct. I kept waiting for the angle that proved me wrong but I didn't see it. (which doesn't mean it wasn't there).

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

There was no way the video was indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please see nmmetsfan's post and re-read mine.

If the call on the field was touchdown and Triplette had let it stand, I could have understood it. But that wasn't what happened. The call on the field was that the runner came up short and Triplette overturned it after seeing the replay, so it wasn't based on some great view he had on the field. It was the same view we all had, the one that does not have indisputable evidence to overturn.

Triplette is terrible. He has been terrible for many years and he has been demoted at least once by the league for his constant failures.

Also a missed swipe at the runner's legs from behind made him fall? How exactly? If he wasn't touched and he really had know way to know the guy was at his feet, how would that make him fall?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, they had to replace him with someone. And Kiffin has been around a few years and had a decent reputation. Wonder who gets that hot seat next season?

Draft saved Draft deleted