1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 14 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Vegas has a funny way of making people look like jackasses, Mizzou. You're no exception. :)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you asked me to predict the line, I would have said Seahawks by 1 or 2. It's on the road, it's a short week, but it's not like they're flying across the country. I think the Seahawks have overlooked some opponents this season, but that's not going to happen against the Niners.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True. The Monday nighter/Sunday road combo always draws attention.

4. Mizzougrad96

This from the person who said a -200 money line on the Saints would be a good bet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

1. It was +200.
    2. I never excluded myself from that group of people. I'm admittedly a charter member.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the line stinks, run to the smell. Perfect example was last week, undefeated (and playing for a possible BCS berth) Fresno St. was only a 6 point favorite at sub .500 San Jose State. Easy money, right? Not only did SJSU cover, they won outright.

If it looks like Seattle is a sure thing, then go with SF.

7. Mizzougrad96

As long as that's established... :D

Yeah, betting the NFL is brutal.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Indy has been a steaming pile of shit on the road of late. Not surprised at all about that line.

9. JackReacher

It's been established for going on 15 years now. I'm taking a beating on the NFL this year, so I've slowed down a bit. College football and NBA is far more profitable for me this year...so far. NFL can eat a dick.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

San Francisco's at home, needs the win more. Seattle is coming off a short week, is probably due to drop one after winning 7-8 straight and it's a revenge game. So I'd take the 49ers this week, too.

11. Mizzougrad96

When I covered the NFL, I would get calls all the time from people wanting betting advice. I never gave it, because it's so unpredictable.

It's funny at the YMCA program where my boys go after school they do weekly football picks. I think it's great, but I'm stunned they allow it even though there is obviously no money on the line.

My 6-year-old won in Week 12 and when I was looking at his picks I told my wife, "If he had shown me these before he turned them in, I would have tried to explain to him why you can't pick the Bucs to beat the Lions and for the Cardinals to beat the Colts and for the Jaguars to win."

His only misses were Chiefs-Chargers and the tie between the Packers and Vikings.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is a legitimate question in AFC:

Are we going to have a 7-9 team in the playoffs? I mean it seems like someone might make it to 8-8 but I'd bet against a 9-7 to be honest:

Balt (6-6) - Minn (likely W) but then at Detroit, New England, at Cincy -- That looks a lot like 8-8 at best and more likely 7-9
    Pgh (5-7) - Miami, Cincy, at GB, Cleveland -- Looks like 3-1 down stretch which is 8-8 but with all their injuries on line I could see 2-2 and that is 7-9
    Miami (6-6) - At Pgh, NE, At Buffalo, Jets -- Looks like 2-2 at best - and winning at Buffalo is not a given - but 7-9 is possible
    Tennessee (5-7) - at Denver, Arizona, Jacksonville, Houston - I suppose this is a good chance for 3-1 but Arizona is not bad and that would mean 2-2 and 7-9
    San Diego (5-7) - NYG, at Denver, Oakland, KC -- Again, I can't see better than 2-2 which is 7-9
    Jets (5-7) - Oakland, At Carolina, Cleveland, at Miami - Schedule doesn't matter, that team sucks. I see 6-10 at best.

I mean, to be honest, as much as it pains me, if the Steelers were just a little less banged up I'd say they are heavy favorites to win this derby looking at these schedules.

Meanwhile, in the NFC there could two or three teams with winning records that stay home.....

Draft saved Draft deleted