1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 14 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For what seems like the 10th week in a row, the early Sunday games are relatively crappy, with two exceptions:

Indianapolis (+5.5) at Cincinnati, 1 p.m., CBS --- battle of first-place teams

Detroit (+2.5) at Philadelphia, 1 p.m., Fox --- also a battle of first-place teams

Sunday afternoon has quite a bit of intrigue, however:

Seattle (+2.5) at San Francisco, 4:25 p.m., Fox --- Seattle would just about lock up home field with a win. Kind of surprised they are an underdog at this point.

St. Louis (+6.5) at Arizona, 4:25 p.m., Fox --- If Seattle wins, Arizona could tie San Francisco for 2nd with a win

And the Sunday-nighter should be a dandy:

Carolina (+3.5) at New Orleans, 8:30 p.m., NBC --- Battle for first in NFC South

Monday night also has playoff implications:

Dallas (+2) at Chicago, 8:30 p.m., ESPN --- Cowboys are tied for first, and Bears could be playing for first place if Detroit loses on Sunday

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Indy line seems kind of high. Or am I crazy?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm stunned San Fran is the favorite.

The home field usually makes a 3-point difference in the line. So, with a 2 1/2 point spread, they're implying that the Seahawks and Niners are pretty close to being equals.

If they feel that way, they're watching different games than I have been.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy at one of the Reno sports books once told me Niners were always one of the teams with a national betting following that distorted the spread.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chance for PFM and the Broncos to hone their cold-weather playing skills. High of 27 forecast with some snow, but it's the Front Range, so that forecast can change pretty quickly.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd believe it for both them and the Raiders. The drive-up action alone can affect the local books. (If you want to experience Thunderdome, no place better than the Cal-Neva book on a Sunday when the Raiders are playing.)

I also think there's a belief that the Seahawks aren't a road team. I think it's a stupid belief and worth capitalizing on at the betting window, but the belief persists.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Couldn't it be both?

10. amraeder

Do they adjust at all for the fact that Seattle's on a short week? Seems like that would be figured in somewhere, too.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is nothing I've seen from the Niners this season, since the opener, that would indicate that they can hang with the Seahawks. I'd love to be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Seattle wins by less than 10.

12. amraeder

Fair point, salesman.

Draft saved Draft deleted