1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 13 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 26, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

you can't criticze Zolak. anytime a Maryland grad gets a job its like we all got a job.
    He turned a 1 year starting job in college into a 4th round draft choice and stuck with the NFL for 8 seasons (7 starts).
    Go Terps

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is exactly what Jones should have done, and even with no contact, the officials should have thrown a flag. Perhaps not awarding the touchdown, but at least a 15-yard penalty.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Regarding Russell Wilson, one of the criticisms I always heard about him last year was that he was "too short to play QB." In other words, those critics believed he couldn't last as a starter because he can't see past his linemen to make passes and always has to roll out of the pocket.

I think time is proving that was a silly criticism to make. Wilson more than makes up for that with his accuracy, decision making and patience.

We're finding more often that accuracy, decision making and presence in and out of the pocket are better ways to define who will be a top QB in the NFL. Physical traits can be useful but they don't really tell the whole story. A QB who has the strongest arm in the world but makes poor decisions every time will never be a top guy.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, come on! That's revisionist history. You don't get to go back and redo your draft picks a year-and-a-half later.

All 32 teams had the opportunity to draft Wilson earlier and they chose other guys. Just like with Tom Brady, Tony Romo and tons of other players. We all know it's an inexact science and there is a lot that goes into player development.

If Wilson gets drafted by, say, the Raiders, does he develop the same way? If he gets drafted by the Saints, and is sitting behind a veteran like Drew Brees, then what? A lot of factors go into it. I give Seattle's scouting staff and front office credit and the coaching staff credit.

Seems I recall someone on this board whining last September that the Seahawks should be playing Matt Flynn because Wilson apparently cost them a game. The point was made then that players need real game action to develop and that you can't go yanking a guy everytime he fumbles or throws a pick. To his credit, Pete Carroll stuck with the guy and allowed him to learn.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Teams don't draft players on the likelihood that they'll be great, they draft them on how small the likelihood is that they'll be busts. It's called covering your ass.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hmmmm. Interesting viewpoint. I suppose it depends where in the draft you are referring to. With the lower rounds you can better afford a gamble on someone who has some issues (on the field or off), but has some potential. In the first round, yeah, I guess you better cover your ass when there are a few question marks.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Just adding this: I don't think Mizzou was talking about "doing a draft over" as much as he was saying that, if given the choice between Wilson, RG3 or Kaepernick for a QB, he'd take Wilson.

Heck, Kaepernick wasn't even drafted the same year that Wilson and RG3 were.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wasn't Kaepernick drafted the same year Cam Newton was?

OK, so maybe make it anyone who came into the league in the last three years?

I'd take 1) Andrew Luck, 2) Russell Wilson, toss up between the others. I might even take Ryan Tannehill, because I prefer pocket passers to guys who scramble a lot.

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

The Eagles looked like they did the second half against the Lions...for five fucking minutes. Now they're playing like shit.

Shit.

Oh well, time to get out the official snack food of the Dallas Cowboys defense.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted