1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 13 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 30, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, but Collinsworth was good as part of the old FOX three-man booth before he left Aikman and Buck. I think he's the best thing NBC has going for it, and should do a great job on NFLNet.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What hurts Gumbel is that he's just blah. He's calling a football game just like he would introduce the health segment on Today. I was waiting for him to say "It's 10 past the hour and for a look at the weather, we'll go to Willard Scott..."

With most announcers, they get excited (sometimes too excited) when big plays occur or at least the tone of their voice indicates something big happened. I'm not sure Gumbel can get excited and his tone stays pretty consistent (unfortunately) for long periods of time.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I once did a story on Stoney Case when he was in Cardinals camp. Those were the days ...

Anybody else get the feeling that the Giants are going to get their shit together for this game Sunday? Call it a gut feeling. But between the overboard Romo lovefest (he's good, but let's not call him Aikman just yet) and all of the bullshit going on in the Giants locker room, I just sense a big circle the wagons moment is coming Sunday at the Meadowlands.

Also, what's the record of the final wild card team in the NFC? I'm thinking at best, it's 9-7. Maybe an 8-8 team gets in the playoffs. Love me some parity ...

4. Freelance Hack

The Giants will rip the Cowboys 41-17 and its because:

A. The offense will realize it's good
    B. Romo will have his first really bad game
    C. I'm benching Eli Manning this week, which automatically means he'll go 27-32, 375 and 4 TD.

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

did i miss the story this week of a red cross bus pulling up to the giants' practice complex and dropping off a slew of healthy o-linemen, d-lineman, corners and wide receivers?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I hate to bog this electrifying discussion down with fantasy football bullshit, but ...

Should I ride the hot hand and start Romo against the Giants or go with what seems like a sure thing and play Tom Brady against Detroit?

I'll hang up and listen ...

7. Freelance Hack

Dog,

You don't realize the power my snubbed subs have. For example, last night before leaving work, I debated between placing Derrick Mason or Donald Driver in this week's lineup. I chose Driver. All Mason did was score 10 points (even if 6 came on a questionable touchdown).

So, with Eli Manning on the bench, it is all but guaranteed that he'll do well. He could have the San Francisco or Yomiuri Giants blocking for him. It won't matter.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I like the idea of the Giants rising up and beating the Cowboys this weekend, and it wouldn't completely shock me since no result in the NFL does anymore, but the Cowboys are too strong for the G-men to overcome right now.

I think Dallas scores at least 24 points, if not more, and runs away with it.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Question: If you had to pick one quarterback from the recent draft class, who would you pick?
    I would pick Cutler, but VY's heroics against the Giants really impressed me.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, as impressive as Young has been, I'd still go with Leinart. When he's not flat on his back thanks to a dreadful offensive line, he seems to read defenses well and have the sort of leadership intangible that makes his teammates want to play for him. He genuinly seems pissed when he loses.

Young has been a stud though. With the plays he makes, it can lift the heads of his teammates and create a belief that they're never out of the game as long as he's on the field.

11. Freelance Hack

I'm not sold on Cutler. He has a great arm, but I think he'll be pick prone. That'll cost the Broncos the playoffs this season and maybe even next year. And, if that does happen, it'll cost Shanahan his job.

Leinart is the most talented quarterback, but Young is the most versatile and has the better coaching staff surrounding him.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way dude. I picked the Cowboys to score the most points in the Yahoo pick 'em and the Giants to score the least. This is going to be a rout.

The Giants don't have nearly enough leadership to circle the wagons. Over the last 10 years, they've never once stopped the bleeding once the patient is wounded.

As for the best QB in this draft, Hondo picks David Garrard.

Draft saved Draft deleted