1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 13 College Football: Bedlam! Holy Wars! Backyard Brawls!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's the same margin of defeat I've been predicting in every game for the past two years. You'll get the same margin next week too and in the blow game.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Freudian slip or intentional?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's to hoping Toby Gerhart has a big game Saturday night against Notre Dame. He deserves to be in the Heisman race.

4. outofplace

At this point, anybody who can't put up a big game against Notre Dame would certainly eliminate himself from the conversation.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think Tony is intoning that there are two cultures of people in that state.
    One's who follow Auburn and have their specific demographical characteristics.
    And those who follow Alabama while displaying their own, indigenous "cultural traits."
    I don't buy into it.
    People of all types follow both schools.

Many (but not all) Alabama fans, I'm sure, like to think of themselves as somewhat more "gentry" than Auburnites.

About the only thing I can say with certainty is that most of the low-income Alabama residents tend to root much more for the Tide than they do Aubie.
    But that's about the only "norm" that I can point out regarding this rivalry.
    There's all types of people from all tax brackets who root for both.

Oh, and Ole Miss travels to Mississippi State to stage Saturday's "Battle for the Golden Egg"

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That's the REAL culture war: planters vs. peons, Delta vs. the hills, cult-yah vs. agriculture, Oxford vs. Starkvegas, etc. Bama and Auburn are just two sides of the same redneck coinage.

7. That's not what happened.

8. outofplace

Care to expand on that?

9. I'll tread lightly, as friends are still trying to break details and I don't want to violate confidences. It has been reported that it was a "recent graduate," not an "irate fan." I guess technically a recent graduate would be an irate fan, but putting two and two together, this wasn't some pissed off fan taking a shot at the QB, but a couple of males in their early 20s doing what males in their early 20s sometimes do at a bar after midnight.

10. outofplace

The attacker's age and status as a recent graduate doesn't really mean anything unless they knew one another or Claussen did something to provoke him.

Perhaps it is in the details you are holding back (for good reason), but it doesn't sound like the story you are talking about refutes the one Trey linked.

11. To me, Schad's story sounds like some fan pissed off about the team sucker punched the quarterback who was minding his own business. I'm telling you that's not what happened. It was a recent graduate who I believe was at least an acquaintance of Clausen.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Back to Alabama-Auburn for a sec: What percentage of the populace is pro-Tide and how much is pro-Tiger? It just seems to me -- as an outsider -- that Alabama is one of the few states in which the land-grand institution (often known as xxxx State) has a comparable following to The University of xxxx. But I know I may be wrong. Can somebody fill me in?

Draft saved Draft deleted