1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's shocking how few dominant running backs there are today compared with 20-30 years ago when we were blessed with Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Franco Harris, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Those guys never all played at the same time. Harris, Payton and Dorsett were all retired before Smith and Sanders entered the league.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. But we had a steady stream of great running backs up until maybe 10 or so years ago.

How many current running backs do you think will eventually wind up in the Hall of Fame? I'd say perhaps Adrian Peterson, and I wouldn't put money on anyone else.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong, as per usual.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

C'mon JC, did you really expect Mark to notice that the Seahawks have had three fourth-quarter comebacks, including two overtime games?

Seems like you're asking a lot. He should just be able to dial up the "black quarterback = no clutch" playbook.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I can't beleive you are so bloody stubborn that you are sticking with this utter nonsense.

For one, Stewart never played close to the level Newton has shown already. If Newton is out the league in 1.5 years or even 5 from now I would say that 80% of the QB's playing right now will be as well.

Is it 5 years from draft or 5 years from today? I'd give you huge odds on either of those.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I really shouldn't engage him.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would go defense. They need defense. Unless there's a real franchise quarterback available, I always go defense early. Because all the really great championship teams have great defenses. As my high school loved to say "If you don't score, we can't lose."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Wilson has regressed?

Last season he was 252-393, 3,118 yards, 26 Td's and 10 ints with 489 rushing yards.
    This season he is 176-275, 2.362 yards, 19 TD's and six ints and 409 rushing yards and the team is 10-1.

That's a helluva regression, imagine if he ever improves.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Read on, my friend.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yeah I saw some of the posts after I posted.

Wilson has been great this season.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Steak already pointed out one huge flaw in this comparison. Newton has the size of a prototypical quarterback and Stewart was small.

Also, Stewart had the worst pocket presence I've ever seen. He had no sense at all of the pass rush around him.

Stewart had a great arm and he could run, but the similarities end there.

Draft saved Draft deleted