1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Figure we should probably have one considering there's a game in less than 48 hours.

Saints at Falcons on Thursday night. Maybe Atlanta has some fight left, but I don't see how.

Early Sunday games are kinda crappy, though San Diego at Kansas City, Pittsburgh at Cleveland and Jets at Baltimore have some intrigue. Jacksonville at Houston could go a long way toward deciding the No. 1 overall pick if the Jags somehow win.

Indy at Arizona is a late CBS game. The Cardinals are kind of sneaky good this year, especially on defense.

Dallas at the Giants could be a real shootout in the late Fox game.

Denver at New England on Sunday night, because we just need another Peyton vs. Brady showdown.

San Fran at Washington on Monday night in a battle of flash in the pan QBs (trolling any number of SJ members with that one).

2. joe

joe Active Member

I'm going to the Chiefs-Chargers game. Lower-level seats are under an overhang, so shadows all game long with temps in the 30s. I'mma gonna freeze my ass off.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Giants making the playoffs after an 0-6 start is my new love interest.

Cowboys, at Redskins, at Chargers, Seahawks, at Lions, Redskins. 9-7, own division tiebreakers. I think they can do it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that both the Giants and Steelers have climbed back into contention after such ugly starts. Of the two, I think the Giants have the much better shot of actually making it. Pittsburgh really needs to win at Cleveland this week an then at Baltimore the following game and I just don't see it happening.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh is in the same spot it seems from when they made the run to beat the Seahawks; they have to win out for a shot at the playoffs. That group only had to win four games and was much better and younger, though.

6. I have NO doubt the Steelers will disappoint, losing at least one - if not both - of the next two games.
    They may well be a fringe contender for the final playoff spot, but I don't think there's any way they get in at 7-9 (I think that's VERY optimistic).

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Colts have signed Chris Rainey, because apparently even a woman beater is a better option than Trent Richardson right now:

http://blogs.colts.com/2013/11/20/indianapolis-colts-sign-rb-chris-rainey/

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least RG3 has an excuse. I'm really beginning to wonder if Kaepernick isn't a one (half) season wonder. That's not to say he'll never do anything good again, but based on the way he's played this season, he's going to need major work this off-season. Or maybe we'll find out that the issue has been the receivers, but I tend to think it's more on Kaepernick.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No point in getting all lathered up about RG3 or Kaepernick's decline into the abyss until next year. That critical third year that seems so important and that everyone talks about. Newton seems to be coming into his own in his third year. If the same problems exist this time next year, time to worry.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't bothered to look up to see whether the numbers disprove the old "sophomore slump" theory, but isn't it just possible Kaepernick, Wilson and RGIII are just going through an expected regression? As others have noted in other threads, defensive coordinators have plenty of game film of these guys to study and have adjusted to take away what worked so well last season.

Now, it's up to the quarterbacks and their coaching staffs to adjust and figure out what works moving forward. Does everyone think these guys don't have the tools to make those adjustments?

I haven't seen enough of Kaepernick or Wilson to really judge, but I think RGIII has all the tools to be a successful NFL quarterback.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it, Sonner. Fully agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wilson hasn't regressed one bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted