1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 NFL Thread (come up with your own stupid name)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Nov 24, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Which makes them, at least for this year's viewing, a worthy shit-bin resident.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They have won six games in the last 25 played, right?

That's the shit bin.

Hell, Oakland has won eight games in the last 25.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The selectivity is cute. I hardly see why it matters how they've done in the last 25 games.

Oakland has lost 79 games since its last Super Bowl. The Browns are worse than they were when they were rebooted. The Lions lost 19 games in a row. St. Louis went almost a calendar year between wins. These organizations have sucked pearly white splooge for more than 25 games, happily, and for more than two full seasons, and are going nowhere fast. They're in their own phylum, where only they belong.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This season and last season.

Their QB is 34.

Their best receiver is 31.

The window be closing on this team. If you think they are going to be better next season, well, I'm going to disagree.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It closed mid-2007.

They do suck. They're a bad team. But they're not Oakland. That was the argument.

It takes a baseball team until about July to realize it's horseshit, but all it takes for a marginally talented and old team is a few injuries at the skill positions and on the offensive line to turn into shit in an awful hurry.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Four. It's college rather than pro, but Texas A&M-Texas1 is also that night. Entirely possible that there will be no good football whatsoever on Thanksgiving.

In that case, they won't be on national TV before I'm eligible for Medicare.

1Of course, with these programs involved it's entirely possible that these are "amateurs" rather than actual amateurs.

7. There's plenty of room in the suck-bin for teams of all levels of suctitude. And "My team doesn't suck quite as much as your team" isn't the kind of argument that is worth having. Can't you drudge up any 2005 super bowl references?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Roethlisberger playing.... seven days after his fourth concussion... is the most irresponsible handling of a player I have ever seen in the NFL.

And that is saying a lot.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, Polamalu playing a week after his eighth last year was worse.

They are saying he was showing symptoms of a concussion Sunday, then he was asymptomatic Monday. Still should be sitting out a week. As it is, they are playing a very physical defense and with a rookie free agent making his first career start at left guard. This could get ugly.

10. Simon_Cowbell

If a lifelong smoker can get $300 million from Philip Morris, how much could one of these guys get from the NFL?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That and Congress getting involved is why you are seeing the NFL trying to address this, but so far the changes are only cosmetic. Have a few guys "resign" from committees, but still stay involved. Let the union offer approvals on the doctors the teams work with.

The Steelers are making a lot of noise about trusting the doctors and what great experts they work with on this. Personally, I was troubled by their decision to let Polamalu go without missing any time last year and this bothers me even more.

They got lucky with Polamalu last year, but with eight concussions reported since his freshman year at USC (probably a few before that or unreported), I really wonder if the guy is going to even know his own name 20 years from now. As concerned as I am about the Steelers risking the future of their franchise quarterback, I am a lot more troubled by the long-term neurological damage that he could face if he suffers another concussion this week. With a history of guys like Mike Webster, Justin Strzelczyk and Terry Long among others, you would think the organization would learn.

12. Simon_Cowbell

The Steelers are being flat-out reckless.

I don't want to hear a fucking word from those pricks about being careful.

Draft saved Draft deleted