1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ia CU-CSU really gonna happen this weekend?
    Addazio is pushing hard for it.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not that I'm seeing/hearing.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Michigan State at Maryland canceled

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Time for Maryland to shut it down.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Good article on the decline of Florida State.

'They're in a deep, deep hole': Inside the 6-year unraveling of Florida State football

One point the article makes is that Florida State had an AD, Stan Wilcox, and a President who wanted to be competitive in all sports and worried about how the school was doing in the competition for the Learfield Directors Cup, which is given to the school with the most successful athletic department. And the football program suffered in the arms race with Alabama and Clemson.

I think any Athletic Director and President of a major Power Five university should understand one political reality. A bad football team will get the AD fired and might get the President fired. A bad golf team will be met with indifference and not get the AD or President fired. Administrators in the Power Five should focus resources on football and maybe basketball. And every other sport should be funded at subsistence levels or dropped.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not every sport. Support the sports which that school's fans support and are interested in, but it starts with understanding that football and to a lesser extent (at most schools) basketball are the cash cows and need to do well to generate dollars for the rest of the athletic department. UConn fans will support women's hoops, most SEC schools support baseball, and various schools love their volleyball, crew, gymnastics, whatever. Trying to go top drawer everywhere means that the budget dollars are diluted unless your school has extremely high levels of financial support, ie Texas, Alabama.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pac-12 has lifted the ban on no non-conference games, but no Rocky Mountain Showdown, at least this weekend.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I agree about men's basketball. Woman's basketball probably needs to get support because of Title IX. And baseball at some SEC schools. But how many other sports draw more than 1,000 fans to an event? 500?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow. Nicely done. Curious what Donny thinks.

Some more thoughts:
    • You'll notice well down in the story that they lost a recruit named Sam Howell. Tallahassee's loss, Chapel Hill's gain. He has made a major difference at UNC.
    • Florida State is still trying to put together its football facility. The school where people claim no one cares about football - Duke - has a football facility.
    • The verbal knives in the back are not surprising - they almost never are with stories like this - but the number of knives that were sharpened over this story stand out.
    • The AD was, in my opinion, correct to worry about, you know, athletics as opposed to worrying about only football, as Jimbo thinks. Not surprising that Leonard Hamilton is having success with men's basketball. That Sue Semrau is flying high with the women's basketball program. That Mike Martin was consistently among the nation's best in baseball before retiring recently. That the softball program won a national title. Stuff like this happens when you don't funnel every available cent into football. Can't agree with LanceyHoward on this one - at all. A balance can be achieved.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Addazio has to. Colorado State's fan base is really level-headed compared to many I've been around, but if there's one school that stirs them up, it's CU. Addazio has already figured that out in Fort Collins.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Several things in that article just floored me, in particular that Florida State didn't have an academic support building. Jimbo recruited his share of players who were marginal, you'd think that would be a priority in an attempt to keep guys eligible. That it wasn't showed in their low APR.

Donny, whats your take? Where was it on target and off?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  12. Neutral Corner

If that. Let's be honest to start with and admit that 80, 90% of women's sports don't sell tickets. A lot of them only exist for Title Nine numbers. I can assure you that the UAB women's bowling, rifle, beach volleyball teams only have a very few spectators normally. Men's side, it really depends on the school. My perspective is UAB, and while it varies most of the minor sports don't draw flies.

MBB, it depends on the program and how good they are/have been recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted