1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Billie Napier's got the 'rona.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Interesting start to NW-Wisconsin.

If the Wildcats lose this game, it will be because of an (admittedly correct) replay review.

A trick play WR pass was originally ruled a touchdown, but the receiver's toe was just barely, barely on the chalk just short of the end zone. First and goal at the Wisconsin 1 yard line.

So instead of being up 14-0 on a run-oriented Wisconsin team, Northwestern fumbles the handoff on the next play. Badgers recover in the end zone, and 80 yards later, it's tied.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out on Twitter, FSU administration just briefed Trustees on the extent of financial impact of the Trumpandemic on Friday. Refunding ticket $ doesn’t help that cause.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So THAT's where the replay officials from the ACC from years ago ended up.

You'll see that at least two Miami players' knees were down before lateraling. ACC allowed the touchdown, anyway. No one offered David Cutcliffe any explanation on the field. Officials were suspended two games each. John Swofford, a Chapel Hill alum, had to eat it by admitting the goof to Duke.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I have no idea why Paul Chryst and Wisconsin are throwing the ball.

They are gouging NW every time they run it, and every time they throw something bad happens.

The Wildcats have collected four Badger turnovers in the first half, and have scored 0 points off them.

7. tapintoamerica

Here’s an interesting line in the ESPN story :

In addition, one source said Clemson offered to get rapid testing on Saturday and move the game to Saturday night, but Florida State did not accept.

If they believed the rapid-test results that said one Clemson player was positive, why wouldn’t they accept the accuracy of follow-up tests that said nobody else had been infected ? There may very well be a good reason. I’d like to know what it is.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The positive test was a PCR test (all the 3X a week tests are), which is more sensitive than the rapid antigen tests. The rapid test wouldn't be sure-fire re: who was infected, but it would be damn-near sure-fire re: who was infectious. Nevertheless, I don't fault Fla. State here. They've lost a lot of players to one thing or the other, and they really can't afford to say farewell to these last games.

It's a shame it happened when it did, but it was bound to happen somewhere sometime.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

Thanks. Agreed. I don’t fault FSU, either. In the back-and-forth, background-sourced communications, I’m just wondering if FSU would respond by saying what you said here.

“Yeah, we know Saturday testing might say they’re clear, but we have no appetite for risk because of the players’ expressions of concern back in June and because our coach tested positive in September.”

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

Is it just me? Or are teams’ social media feeds — college and pro — getting more brazen lately?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I want to see Cincinnati and BYU play-in for the fourth spot. BYU's schedule isn't great, but they've been smoking people/

Draft saved Draft deleted