1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 College Football: Give 'em the Axe, or Floyd of Rosedale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

what non-bcs is currently more "prestigious" than the cap 1? it is in a warm weather location, pays out the most money, is on network TV, and gets the #1 non-bcs pick from two conferences (the only bowl with this distinction). The Cotton has more history, but gets the worse SEC team.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I expect to see the full glory of Golden Gopher Football on display today.

Fear The Gopher!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure kids are saying, "When I grow up, I want to play in the Capital One Bowl!"

If the bowl was still called Tangerine or Florida Citrus, I might be able to see your point of view. But with nearly 40 bowls nowadays, I don't see kids growing up caring about a bowl named after a sponsor.

Regarding your other discussions, the majority of the bowls are in warm weather locations. I conceded you the money discussion (not that the players should care, they don't receive any of it other than their $300 gifts from the bowls). Who cares if they're on network TV? Every bowl is televised today. There's little difference between network TV and cable/satellite.

So they get the #1 non-BCS team. Nice and all, but I'm sure those kids would prefer a BCS bid to the Cap One Bowl.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of cool seeing Musberger and Flutie look back on the Flutie to Phelan play on Gameday. Particularly since Flutie isn't with ABC anymore.
    I always thought any bowl in Hawaii would trump just about any non-BCS bowl if you're a kid. Though since it features a WAC team which regularly plays there, maybe not so much.
    The problem with all of the non-BCS bowls, except for maybe the New Orleans Bowl, the Motor City Bowl and the Liberty Bowl, is that they typically feature teams that had hopes for playing in a "bigger" bowl game at the start of the year.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I turned down tickets to the MSU/PSU game and a day full of tailgating and college sluts to sit at home today and watch Michigan. I'm sure they will lose by 15 but there's always hope right?

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Seeing as neither MSU or PSU have done much to make one want to watch them this year, I can't say I blame you. Although tailgating and college sluts might make up for it.

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

My wife just walked into the living room, looked me straight in my, Buckeye lovin' eye and said: "Sweetie, I love you, but I'm going shopping. Don't take this wrong, but I can't really handle being around you for the next few hours."

Her understanding of this, is one great example of why I love her so....

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Justin Boren looks scared. I would look scared too if Brandon Graham was about to break me in half.

9. amraeder

Pryor is completing passes. This bodes poorly for Michigan.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Early 3rd and 9 here for the Buckeyes, how will UM blow it?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Michigan's run defense looks great. Pass defense looks like their normal swiss cheese secondary.

12. amraeder

Which is kind of what I was expecting to see.

And Pryor checked down wayyyy to quickly on that 3rd down pass. No need to throw it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted