1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 11 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 12, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Umm. Carolina trails New Orleans by a game in the NFC South and currently holds the No. 5 position. San Francisco is sixth, only two back of Seattle and they still get to play them once more. There are seven games left. Still plenty to decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

NFL Network said Reed collected $6 million from the Texans but most of it was in bonuses so if a team claims him, they'll only owe him $400K for the rest of the season.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

How serious a contender is Carolina?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Reed needed to retire a year ago and become a coach. He was supposed to provide leadership and help the young players and apparently didn't.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They look legit if Newton doesn't start turning the ball over again. They can run and stop the run. I don't know if they'll catch New Orleans to win the division, but they can be a playoff team and could upset someone on the road.

I think the NFC is deeper than the AFC and certainly more balanced. I can see any of five or six teams winning the NFC, while anyone other than Denver --- barring an injury to Manning --- winning the AFC would shock me.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He got $5.5M for 9 games. Good agent. Maybe he could work with the Niners, Reed apparently did not like Wade Phillips' playcalling, maybe Vic Fangio can get him to play better.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Or the 21 points Peyton Manning was responsible for in the Ravens game. #18 got a KO return for a TD and a punt return for a TD. The longer the season goes, the less effective Manning will be. Like Favre from 2007 to 2010, he will fade as the seasons gets closer to ending. In 2008, he ran out of gas. Even in 2009, his dream regular season, his effectiveness faded as the weather got colder.

Manning doesn't even get the luxury of playing half his games in a dome. Seven games left, none indoors, five likely in cold weather. When you're 37 and immobile, those hits add up. Fast.

Still think the Colts are the team in the AFC I'd take in a playoff situation, then Denver, then the Chiefs, then the Patriots.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Panthers have little depth on the offensive line or offensive skill positions.
    A few weeks ago they started a converted defensive player at right guard.
    The defense is nasty, but one-read Kaepernick has made a few defenses look good this season.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You'd take the Colts to win in Denver in the playoffs? Fine, give me the other horses and it's a deal.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What if they don't play in Denver? What if Denver is the 5-seed?

Luck and the Colts are the one team I wouldn't want to run into in the playoffs and this includes if they met Manning and the Broncos in Denver. I just think that, by Week "19", Luck would be getting better while Manning is limping to the finish.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I would think at this point, the Colts and Broncos would have to be overwhelming favorites to come out of the AFC. Kansas City is legit, but I just don't know if they have the offensive firepower to hang with a team that can score as fast as Indy and Denver can.

It would be really interesting, if the Colts and Broncos met in the AFC Championship game, if age and experience would win out over youth, and I'm not just talking about Manning vs. Luck.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

The Colts just got badly embarrassed at home by a Kellen Clemens-helmed team.
    What the fuck makes them a favorite?

Draft saved Draft deleted