1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 11 .. Denver Broncos Freefall edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 17, 2015.

1. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

That's a common devil argument tactic -- creating a non-argument and then shooting it down.

But he's far from alone.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I was talking about the team as a whole. If you lose a QB and literally can't win a game, you have issues at plenty of positions. But feel free to focus on one thing.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Elway is a great GM because he realized he couldn't count on an aging QB, so he went out and put together a great defense to pick up the slack.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, listen, I'm with you on Jerry's credentials as a GM. The Cowboys do have issues on defense for sure -- especially in the secondary. And when Bryant was hurt, the lack of a competent No. 2 WR was glaringly apparent.

I'm just saying this team is not so different from most others. It's not like they're getting steamrolled. They've led or been tied in the fourth quarter of six of those seven losses.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Steelers' mistake wasn't failing to get Blount enough touches. You do what helps your team win. They may have suspected Bell would have a monster season, but he hadn't proven it yet before 2014. The mistake was giving him what he wanted by cutting him. They should have just benched him and if he wanted to whine about it, too fucking bad.

6. outofplace

People notice Brown, but he's not the MVP. An MVP doesn't completely disappear for three games, even with a shitty quarterback throwing to him.

Brady is the MVP.

7. Mr. Sunshine

It's Cam Newton, you racist!

heyabbott, JackReacher and JC like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

After last year, when Watt had about the best year by a defensive player in history and didn't get it, it's clear we are now talking about the Quarterback of the Year Award, not the MVP. So Brady will get it. Or Newton, or even Dalton or Palmer. But that's all it is anymore, so I've kind of lost interest.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, a running back hasn't won the award in forever. Something like three years.

10. I think Vick only gave him a handful of attempts. His first game starting he threw like five passes total to a WR.

Brady might well be the MVP, except he most also be the most disliked guy in the NFL. He's the field general for the most despised team in the NFL. He ain't giving footballs to fatherless kids.
    Brady has a good compliment of players. No question he's the horse driving the carriage ...

Carolina, on the other hand, how the hell is that team, unbeaten? They are the worst 9-0 team since the '69 Rams.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The '69 Rams had the Fearsome Foursome and George Allen, plus Roman Gabriel, the Joe Flacco of his time. In an era where defense had all the rules on its side, they were pretty damn good.

12. outofplace

Oh, I get that Brown's crappy numbers in those three games were more a matter of Vick's failures than Brown's, though Brown did drop a touchdown pass in one of those games. I'm just saying that it is hard to make a case for a player as MVP when he virtually disappears with one teammate out for three weeks.

Also, I don't think a wide receiver has ever won the award. The last NFL MVP who wasn't a quarterback or running back was Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

Draft saved Draft deleted