1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 11 College Football Thread: 'Bama's trap game scenario

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't be arsed to look it up right now, but I'm guessing it's been a while since Georgia-Auburn was a matchup of unranked teams.

Hopefully it'll still be an entertaining game; it usually is.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sitting home at night watching the tape of a game from 1992, analyzing it, posting about it and trying to relate it to this week's game is beyond fanboi.
    Someone needs a life.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hope you're right, but the Vandals' starting QB missed their loss to Fresno State with a rotator cuff injury, and he's questionable for the Boise State game.

Passion/hatred can only take a team so far ...

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1991. Georgia won 37-27 in Athens. Before that, 1977.

And spnited, I think the link is that 1992 was the last time Alabama was in the national championship race and had to play a night game in Starkville. I guarantee you they'll show clips of that game during Saturday's broadcast.

For Alabama fans, a game at Starkville is just another step along the road. But for Miss. State fans (and LSU fans and Ole Miss fans and Auburn fans), it's a big deal when Bama comes to town, especially when they're good.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Still my favorite college football photo.

[​IMG]

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They have us well trained in our pessimism, don't they?

It really shouldn't happen. Pitt has the better team and home-field advantage. But I still have a bad feeling about that one, especially with Notre Dame coming off such a stinker of a performance last week (against a Navy team Pitt beat).

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Can always count on you to bring out the list ...

Notre Dame/Pitt ... Pitt by 2 touchdowns.

Missouri-KState ... Missouri lost at home to BAYLOR!

Florida-South Carolina ... South Carolina wins 17-14.

Idaho @ Boise St. ... Boise wins 55-14, maybe 21.

Stanford @ USC ... Oregon kills USC then blows at Stanford. Stanford rams Oregon and will blow at USC. Trojans by 3 TDs.

Iowa @ Ohio St. ... Ohio State in a shutout, unless Iowa's defense or special teams score.

Nebraska @ Kansas ... Eh, who cares.

Utah @ TCU ... If TCU doesn't get caught up in the press clippings ...

Texas Tech @ Okla. St-- Oklahoma State by 10 ...

Arizona St. @ Oregon ... Ducks by 42.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Christian Ponder's shoulder injury is a grade-3 shoulder separation, ending his season. Highly-touted redshirt freshman E.J. Manuel will start this weekend's game at Wake Forest.

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/manuel-78952-fisher-game.html

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I suppose it's great that UB (sorry, Buffalo) is on TV again tonight in another ESPN Tuesday game because I'd never see the home-town team on that network on a Saturday.

But I have to think - after watching acres and acres of empty seats on these MAC/CUSA/ midweek broadcasts - that these kind of games are absolutely killing any chance of ever building a local fanbase and robbing the alums and students of a football weekend experience.

I was shocked this week when putting the D-I football standings on our scoreboard page that the WAC plays an all-Saturday schedule this week. I thought the NCAA forbade Boise State from playing Saturday games?

Microville Tech might open the 2010 season with three straight Thursday games. The horror.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

You're the only one on here that seems to have a problem with this.
    If you're dimwitted enough to think I was sitting at home analyzing the damn tape, you are the one that needs professional help.
    Do you need blue font on anything that isn't spot-on true.
    Damn, you get on the high horse sometimes.
    I watch tapes of old games because I enjoy it.
    What's the diff with watching a VHS tape or watching an old game on ESPN Classic?
    I do both with regularity and I'm happy with my life.
    But, I bet yours is 10 times more exciting.

And now that he's been called on it, revisionist historian Sonner's now changed his tune to "Fanbois are good. I'm a fanboi of several teams."
    Way to go, Ryan.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The rest of us Bulldog fans ask you to eat a bag of you-know-whats. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I was right in front of that. Awesome scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted