1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 11 College Football Thread: 'Bama's trap game scenario

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Watching my VHS tape tonight of 1992 clash at Starkville between then-No. 2 'Bama and then No. 16 MSU.
    (State had a 21-20 lead midway thru the 4th quarter and caused a Jay Barker fumble, which State fell on, but officials quickly overruled)
    The Crimson Tide finally won 31-20 enroute to their most recent national title.

The 2009 teams meet again this weekend, following an off-week for State and an emotionally-draining win over LSU by the Tide.

The weekend is full of intrigue elsewhere, too, with TCU/Utah perhaps the top game of the week.
    Notre Dame plays Pitt, while Spurrier's Gamecocks meet Florida.
    I'll attend the MSU game and look forward to Dan Mullen's first "signature" win.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bama might be Miss State by 40.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

TCU might play in the national title game.
    Might, might, might ...

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love for something crazy to happen in the SEC this year - but I doubt it will happen.
    I don't think there is a conspiracy, but I wouldn't be surprised if officials were told that it's okay to make a call against Florida or Alabama, it's not okay to make a bad call that costs the SEC a shot at the national championship.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, right. Mike Slive already has snipers positioned on the roof of Davis-Wade Stadium.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame by 17

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Couldn't help but notice the BCS rankings this morning, and that LSU is creeping around the Top 10 still (at No. 8, IIRC). Is there a chance the Tigers might back into a Sugar Bowl bid if they win out, and Bama or Florida somehow slips up before the SEC title game? Or even if they don't slip up?
    Asking as a fanboi and out of genuine curiosity. That'd be a fun scenario to see them weasel their way in as an at-large team ahead of an unbeaten TCU or Boise.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No way - a lost in the SEC championship game won't matter at all, even with a loss before then I don't see a two loss Bama or Florida ranked below LSU, a team both beat.
    Of course, I remember thinking Missouri had a BCS bid locked up when they beat Kansas a couple years back. The bowls aren't required to take the second place or even second highest ranked team if they want to take an at-large.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This tape from 1992 just went to a Tim Brando update, with Marshall Faulk slicing thru the No. 24 Hawaii defense.
    SDSU leading 24-21 in the second qtr.

Florida State's up 70-7 on Tulane.

And then a flash to Berman in the studio, wondering out loud what's up with the Oilers ... and if the Saints are good enough to make the Super Bowl.

Deja vu all over again, folks?
    Is State gonna make the Tide work til the final whistle? ('Bama's favored by 14 this weekend, BTW)

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LSU wouldn't get in at the expense of Boise or TCU, though, because a conference can only get two BCS spots and everyone already has the SEC runner-up slotted for one of those. Tigers would have to get in at the expense of Bama or Florida, the way Kansas bribed its way in a couple of years ago ahead of Missouri. Can't see that happening to the Tide or Gators, though.

And after that call on LSU's interception, it's obvious that there is no way in hell the SEC season will end in anything other than undefeated Florida vs. undefeated Alabama.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was just a fanboi dreaming out loud, I guess :)

Some serious stuff would have to happen, like LSU winning its last three games without its leading rusher and maybe its starting QB, for starters. Just wondering if they could worm their way in there

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So conspiracy is more of an SEC thing, than a Mike Slive thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted