1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 10 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

FRIDAY
    11 Miami (-9.5) at N.C. State, 730 ESPN
    9 BYU (-2.5) at 21 Boise State, 945 FS1

SATURDAY
    25 Liberty at Virginia Tech (-15.5), 12 ACCN
    23 Michigan (-3.5) at 13 Indiana, 12 FS1
    18 SMU (-14.5) at Temple, 12 ESPN+
    Arizona State at 20 USC (-10.5), 12 FOX
    West Virginia at 22 Texas (-7.5), 12 ABC
    Massachusetts at 16 Marshall (-44.5), 2:30 ESPN+
    8 Florida vs. 5 Georgia (-4.5), 330 CBS
    Houston at 6 Cincinnati (-11.5), 330 ESPN
    Purdue at 10 Wisconsin (-8.5), 330 ESPN (Prime to get banged by COVID, unfortunately)
    Kansas at 19 Oklahoma (-38.5), 330 ESPN2
    14 Oklahoma State (-10.5) at Kansas State, 4 FOX
    7 Texas A&M (-7.5) at South Carolina, 7 ESPN
    Baylor at 17 Iowa State (-13.5), 7 FS1
    1 Clemson (-7.5) at 4 Notre Dame, 730 NBC
    Rutgers at 3 Ohio State (NL), 730 BTN
    Stanford at 12 Oregon (-11.5), 730 ABC
    South Alabama at 15 Coastal Carolina (-16.5), 8 ESPNU

Quick thoughts ... Vegas clearly isn't buying what the AP voters are trying to sell, re: Liberty. I know they have a pretty record but they've beaten exactly zero teams with a pulse. As a Tech fan, concerned though because they have an elite hybrid quarterback in Malik Willis and Tech's defense has been utter shite this season. ... The Arizona State-USC 9 a.m. start, as has been noted, is so dumb. ... The fact that Clemson is a touchdown favorite over the Domers on the road even without Lawrence tells you plenty about what Vegas thinks of Notre Dame. ... Also, MACtion returns Wednesday this week.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what Moorhead does with the Oregon offense. Ducks are going to have to run the table and cover every spread to have a chance.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

True freshman. TD's from 75, 71, 22, and 6 yards out.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ole Miss tight end Damarcus Thomas reportedly suffered a severe injury at practice this morning and had to be airlifted to a hospital in Memphis.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

ESPN said Kiffin updated everyone and said that Thomas did gain some feeling in his extremities before getting airlifted.

Still that's horribly scary for anyone to witness.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Doubly so at Ole Miss, where those kinds of injuries are always on the mind.

Chucky Mullins Courage Award

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Subsequent Tweet from Ole Miss account is best news of the day. Nobody should have to suffer such things, but if there are two programs that should be perpetually spared, they are Ole Miss and Rutgers.

8. tapintoamerica

Interesting matchups this week.
    If there's one circumstance in which I'd root for the Hokies, it's this week. Truth be told, nobody should ever dignify Liberty by playing them. They should be shunned in perpetuity. Sadly, almost all of the ACC has taken the bait offered by geographic proximity and the perhaps-dying presumption that they would be an easy mark. So the Hokies aren't exclusively at fault for doing this. I fear what will result if Liberty wins.
    Then we have the COID Bowl, pitting a coach who claimed God would make the Trumpandemic go away in short order and an institution that helped spread the virus through Amy Covid Barrett and the several klan meetings she has endorsed with her presence. Can't say I find either side worthy of support.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

About Liberty ... tell that to N.C. State. Wolfpack will still play them because, if they don't, they'll owe Liberty almost $2 million. So the way the athletics department sees it, might as well invite the Flames to Carter-Finley.

Don't blame Boo Corrigan. It was done by Debbie Yow.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So "almost all" = 3/15. I must say, yours -- "round up to the nearest whole number" -- is an interesting heuristic in a 0/1 scenario. "Almost all" voters will be voting for Trump. But then again, "almost all" will also be voting for Biden. It'll be a tie!

11. tapintoamerica

Upon further review, as they say, you are correct. I wasn't referring exclusively to 2020. I was referring to recent and near-future years. But still not as many. Only Syracuse, the Hokies, Virginia, NC State and Wake Forest have recently played or scheduled them. I was under the inaccurate assumption that even more had debased themselves by agreeing to play the Flames -- even if only once in the next four or five years..

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I swear, you can irritate me more than about any poster who's ever shit between two shoes, but you do have this endearing quality of ... what is the term? ... intellectual honesty. You will actually say, "I was wrong." Damn scarce commodity in these times of crisis. Here's to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted