1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL: The Chiefs march to the Super Bowl begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Man. Mayock and Gruden should just hire a Steelers fan to be their PR guy. Y'all couldn't be more eager and thirsty for everyone to know how much you hate Antonio Brown.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Brown's a complete idiot, but the guy can play his ass off. If you're the GM, you gotta take a stand somewhere else. Eat your memo about the fines. Try to start the season with some semblance of harmony.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reading accounts on ESPN, Brown was not displaying the "legendary" practice habits; loafing during practice, not stretching with everyone else. AB is frankly too big for his britches. I support Mayock on this. AB is very close to Randy Moss territory (the one Raider game I have attended in '06 I think before he was traded to NE, I was watching Moss and had never seen such dogging in my life, he literally was taking one step off the line and that was it; terrible.)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I eagerly await the Raiders cutting Brown and him ending up on the Pats.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember the big spread SI did on Gruden's return and him wanting to "make football great again" by returning to the era of coaches not taking any guff from players. Felt he owed it to the sport.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last season: Tomlin and the Steelers were too lax with AB and let him get away with everything! It's their fault!

This season: Mayock and the Raiders are too strict with AB and won't let him get away with anything! It's their fault!

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mayock thought the math was in his favor and a slap on the wrist would be OK with Brown given the contract.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Tomlin looks like an amazing coach to get all these years out of Antonio.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you didn’t know who you were getting you deserve to eat the 50K. Otherwise, get the guy into a few games and see if he’s interested in playing football. If he’s flat and bad after the first few weeks you can always suspend him later. Brown will fuck his way into contract breach and conduct detrimental to the team.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of wonder what the fuck they were thinking with all of this. Like, I'm positive Brown isn't pleasant to deal with, but everyone -knew- that before the trade. Trading for him and seemingly not being prepared to deal with that strikes me as either stupidity or hubris. (In general, I'm not sure which side of the ledger most "Gruden back to the Raiders personnel moves" fall under - stupidity or hubris - but this feels like example #763 of it.)

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They really weren't. The Steelers helped create this monster by letting him get away with so much shit over the last few years and they handled his departure badly, too. I am happy to see Brown melting down because it eliminates one of my concerns when the Steelers made that trade. To me, it showed that any player unhappy with his contract with the Steelers could just throw a temper tantrum and the team would eventually cave and give in to his demands. Now, Brown looks so bad that it can be written off as a unique situation.

That said, Brown has been acting like a selfish ass for years and getting away with it. He then forced his way out of Pittsburgh by throwing a tantrum. Then he managed to screw up the trade the Steelers wanted to make that would have sent him to the Bills. The Steelers responded to that bullshit by giving Brown absolutely everything he wanted and getting a relative pittance in return from the Raiders. Brown acted horribly and it got him everything he wanted. It got him the new contract that the Steelers wouldn't have given him and it got him out of town and onto a team of his choosing.

The Raiders were absolutely right to fine him. I don't care about the stupid accident with his feet or the helmet bullshit, but to continue to skip workouts when he feels like it? They had to do something.

The Steelers lost out. The Raiders could be even worse off unless they can get the guarantees in his contract voided.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Totally predictable. And yet no one called him on it with anything but carefully qualified polite words.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted