1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL: The Chiefs march to the Super Bowl begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 3, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Patrick Mahomes' agent when that happens

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I actually can see Mahomes taking less than market value — like Brady does — to keep talent around him. It's not like he grew up poor, and he's already starting to flex his marketing muscles, which will make him rich outside of his contract. I'm sure there will be a very hefty personal services contract waiting for him when he retires. If he brings a Super Bowl or three to Kansas City, he'll be a god for all time there.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There was an interesting article a few years ago describing the desperation some teams are feeling as their owners hope for one more run before they shuffle off to Buffalo. Since then, Ford, Bowlen, McNair Spanos, Benson, Davis, and Paul Allen have died - I'm guessing Jerry doesn't feel he has another re-build in him.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Leon Hess firing Pete Carroll and hiring Rich Kotite: "I'm 80 years old and I want results now"’

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I get so bored with this contract numbers. Zeke Elliott was rich before this extension, and he was going to be rich regardless of the number.
    I am a football fan because of the game on the field. The endless slicing and dicing of the base salary, and the guaranteed amount.... my eyes glaze over and I just about fall asleep.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

I'm sure he will be similarly gracious once he establishes a PM15 Sports Therapy Center on-site as the preferred provider of services for the team.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know no one cares about your fantasy league, but in our draft last night, someone (who already had 2QBs) drafted Eli Manning in the last round and teared up as he announced to us he was paying tribute to Eli’s career. Truly bizarre. I yelled out “It’s real to me dammit” which precisely no one at the draft got.

sgreenwell, garrow and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. DanOregon

I am surprised that we see so many contracts settled, extended, re-done right before the season starts. Sure there are the holdouts, but I'm guessing now is the "window" when teams can best assess whether a rookie (with contract certainty) will pan out at a position and they won't be needing to hunt for an FA for that spot in the off-season.

9. DanOregon

If Eli was his guy, if Eli was his QB when he won the ff league that one year - I get it. He probably won't get to draft him again. I once picked up a friend of mine when he was called up to the Phillies - it wasn't like I was dumping ARod or Ripken for him - but it was kind of cool.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

[​IMG]

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brady takes less than market value because his team kicks money back through that TB12 nonsense. Don't let that "for the good of the team" crap fool you.

Draft saved Draft deleted