1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For Fox and CBS, 4 p.m. Sunday IS prime time as far as the NFL goes. That slot is their national game broadcast slot. They pay the big bucks, too. I like the Week One front loading. Gets the year off to a flying start. Hell on survivor pools, though.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Home field advantage is a myth at the UFO formerly known as Cowboys Stadium. Dallas is barely above .500 at home since the place opened.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Just for sake of discussion, CBS doesn't and never has doubleheader for Week 1 because of the U.S. Open.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've never understood this. You're assuming most of the fan base is as dedicated as you are, but that's not true. Their lifeblood is the casual fan who gets interested. And the first week of September is not the time those folks are typically going to be that interested; you need big games especially in those afternoon slots. When the weather turns cold and everybody is still alive in the playoff race, that's when you have the captive audience.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... I know the Packer and 49ers are playing for the second year in a row and third time in five years (not counting the playoffs), but there are a handful of non-division games that you know are going to be huge. I get your point, but I don't want to see this game in Week 1. I want to see it in week 10 when both teams appear headed for the playoffs.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

What if one team shits the bed the first few weeks and/or its star (Rodgers/Kaepernick) is injured?

There are no guarantees on intriguing matchups in Week 10 and beyond ... thus, we have flex scheduling. I don't have an issue with giving away a great matchup to open the season.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mizzou, Packers-49ers (and in Week 2, 49ers-Seahawks) have benefited from months of anticipation, which has meant people actually planning where they are going to be for that game. If it's 49ers-Titans, I bet you'd see a local ratings drop of at least 25 percent.

It's all about getting people back in the Sunday habit. The quicker the better.

8. Mizzougrad96

I have less of a problem with the second game being Seahawaks-49ers, because there is another one...

Oh well... I'm just glad the regular season is starting...

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But that could and likely will change starting in 2015 when the Open leaves CBS, and it will free up the schedule makers to have an AFC road team in the 2 p.m. MDT window.

The Broncos haven't opened at home at 2 p.m. MDT since 2002 (Rams) and in that time slot against an AFC team since 1999 (Chiefs), when the season started on Labor Day weekend and before the NFL started to stop giving CBS games in that slot because of the Open.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The other half of the scheduling equation: Divisional games in last week of season.

11. Mizzougrad96

I would even go as far as to say each team's last three games should be against divisional opponents.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Saints vs. Dirty Birds, Section 623, Row 21. I'm there, baby. Win or lose, it's off to the French Quarter restaurant where my cousin is a bartender and we'll likely meet my sister and her husband. Sweet!

Draft saved Draft deleted