1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding wear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll wear a nice dress shirt and slacks to the wake, but for the chapel/graveside service, definitely a suit. Always.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can live with overdressed at weddings and funerals. A thousand times better than feeling underdressed.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Steak has it right. Plus, if you are professional, you should expect this of yourself.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I went to a work-related funeral about 10 years ago and the boss, while he did at least wear a jacket, was dressed festively and brightly -- I recall a flourescent green shirt. He looked like he had just stepped off a golf course or the lido deck and thrown on a linen jacket, his greasy hair slicked back like Pat Riley's. I couldn't believe that asshole. For chrissakes, show some common sense and appear somewhat somber. I wore a dark gray suit.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Dark grey to a funeral instead of black? I'm willing to bet there was some really old man there looking at you the same way you were looking at Mr. Green.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Sorry, I do not own a black suit anymore. I gave it to an Amish dude.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Attending a "summer semiformal" wedding in Virginia next weekend. Somewhat of a vague term. Semiformal seems to suggest dark suit, but the summer tacked on might open things up a bit. Seersucker appropriate?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I went to an outdoor wedding (with an indoor reception) this summer. I went with a dress shirt, tie and slacks but no jacket. There were several seersucker suits and men with open collars but no one went with polo and khakis that I remember.

On another note, I find it fucking disgusting that some of you are taking offense to what someone else is wearing at someone else's wedding.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seersucker should be fine.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

I would ask. Some people now define semiformal as dressed down a bit. But traditionalists consider semiformal much more dressy than a business suit (morning jacket for day wedding, tux for evening). No way to know how the bride defines it unless you ask:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/cracking_the_dress_code.htm

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Any planet on which a tux is "semiformal" I don't want to live.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Good thing you're just a few years short of middle age, then. I believe this is what semiformal always meant until maybe 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted