1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding wear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Again, it depends on the wedding. My cousin got married in Myrtle Beach, right on the beach. The dress for the wedding was very, very casual. Khakis and a tropical shirt. Hell, even the groom wore that. And no shoes, obviously, since it was on the beach.

Point is, you can NEVER go wrong if you let your guests know ahead of time what they want people to wear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I live in rural Ohio. If people wear pants , the bride and groom should feel honored. I can't really talk, though, I've gone 26 years without owning a suit. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon on my salary, either.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not for the majority of weddings I have been to.

Your cousin's wedding was the exception, not the rule. I have been to some low-key weddings where it was, "We are going to have a justice of a peace and then do something non-traditional with a few friends." And of course then we were told what to expect. I have also been to weddings where black tie was requested. And of course, on the invite they wrote, "black tie requested," and people either wore a tuxedo or that was their clue to wear a dark suit if you don't have a tuxedo (and even a regular suit is acceptable, because the black tie is just a request). The reason they specify it is that their wedding is different -- the way your cousin's wedding was different.

But otherwise, if we are talking about a wedding in a church or synagogue or some place of worship with some kind of reception / party afterward, no one should be expected to write a dress code on the invitation out of fear that one of their guests might be too socially backward to know that a suit is expected at a wedding unless it is spelled out.

4. JackReacher

You're probably right. I suppose if you DO have a wedding with non-traditional dress, let people know. If not...if it's a regular church wedding, suit is expected.

Not sure I've been to a wedding since my own three years ago. Out of practice. :)

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

As JR said, "If you're a male over sixteen, you should KNOW that a suit and tie, or at the bare minimum a sports jacket/blazer and tie is expected unless otherwise indicated." If the bride/groom want their guests to dress more casually, by all means let them know. Otherwise, it's on the guest.

6. JackReacher

Yeah. I just said that. :) :)

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Exactly. The women you're going to be hitting on are going to be all dolled-up. You might as well look like you're trying.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sorry - it took a few minutes for my post to go through for some reason.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On Saturday, the wife and I attended a wedding reception for a couple who got married in Hawaii. I wore a summer suit, shirt and tie combo. I was the only one in a suit. A few people were in shorts. Even the groom went with linen slacks, guayabera and flip-flops.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

An excellent point. It's not likely that the hot, drunk bridesmaid is going to leave with the schlubby guy. Make a little effort, guys.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who the hell wears dress shoes on a beach? Although, if you are going to a place of worship, wear a suit.

Also, wear one thing to the ceremony and one thing to the reception. Keep a backup in the car.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I guess I wasn't clear, but we weren't in Hawaii. The couple got married two weeks ago, and then had a reception on Saturday.

And that brings me to another point. Why am I buying a frickin' gift for a couple who could afford to take a two-week vacation to Hawaii to get married?

Draft saved Draft deleted