1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding wear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Attended a wedding over the weekend. Per custom - or so I thought - I wore a suit. Not Armani or anything, but a fairly nice, gray pinstriped suit.

I was surprised when I got there to have never felt so overdressed in my life. Most of the men 50 or over also had suits on, and of course the wedding party was tuxed out. But it seemed like every man under 30 was wearing a polo and khakis or something similarly casual, if not dressed down even further (saw some jeans). Even my mid-30s peers were in shirt and tie but sans jacket (some of them also rocking the polo look). One guy I went to h.s. with had a black shirt and dress pants on with a tie, which seemed a little bit ... 11th grade, 1992, to me.

Like most of us, I'm no fashionista. But did I miss the memo where you now dress for formal events like you are heading out to play nine at the local muni? Thoughts?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Depends on the wedding. Some weddings are more low-key with the dress. I know mine was.

You'd think the wedding invites would mention the dress code. Who knows.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That memo came out about 15 years ago.

4. My cousin got married last month and had a country themed wedding in which the invitations explicitly said to wear jeans and country attire and they told women not to wear dresses. Of course if you knew my family you'd know about half the people would have shown up in jeans anyway. Plus at the reception there was a mechanical bull ... Seriously ... So that wedding wasn't exactly the epitome of class.

But as for me I'm not a suit and tie kind of guy, especially in the warm summer months when I will tend to sweat a lot. So I usually look nice, but business casual nice. I don't feel guilty about it and nobody minds.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Was it a church wedding? Sit down dinner? I have three weddings this summer and I despise suits. If I can get away with khaki's I would be ecstatic.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was in the South?

Dress is a little more casual down here and especially so once it gets hot.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It bugs me when people under-dress at weddings and funerals.
    But a suit isn't always necessary for a wedding. Jacket and tie is required, though.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I won't say anything is required anywhere, because I just don't know if there are attitudes out there different from the ones I am familiar with.

Maybe it just the people I am related to and who I am friends with. But I have never been to a wedding with an actual ceremony in which people were wearing polo shirts and khakis. I'd have been taken aback, too. I have never been around a wedding with an actual service and ceremony, where that would even be close to appropriate. The weddings I know (assuming more than 4 people were invited and it wasn't done at city hall) have ranged from black tie down to something less formal, in which the male guests at least wear suits. Occasionally you will find someone who goes sport jacket, slacks and tie rather than suit, but even that seems on the slightly informal side for most of the weddings I have ever been to.

I guess it's a matter of what the bride and groom want. I just didn't know there are people who go to the trouble of having a formal wedding who wouldn't expect the guests to treat it like a suit and tie event.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll take overdressed every time. At least you can dress down from there by ditching the jacket and/or tie.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Polo shirts and khakis at a wedding? How tacky can you get?

I agree with Ragu. Unless the invitation specifically says "Dress: Casual", you should show up dressed like an adult.

And Playthrough's right. Always better to overdress.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This thread gives me hope. I've got a wedding to attend Saturday and the groom has told me to just dress in a dress shirt and Khakis but I felt like I was going to be weird. Apparently it's becoming the norm. Sweet!

As for my own wedding, which is just over a month away, I've told people they can come in jeans for all I care. My reception is essentially a giant cookout so I don't care what people wear as long as they're not sporting "Leno sucks dick" t-shirts.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

100% correct. Is it really that hard to put on a suit for a few hours?

Draft saved Draft deleted