1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Ring Tradition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

As long as the ring is worn on the other hand, be prepared to answer questions why you're doing it that way. That's simply going to come with the territory. The easiest way not to get this question is to do it the way people have been doing it forever.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rick, he started the thread.

The person he needs to ask about which hand to wear the ring on is his wife.

If she is not happy with it, then he needs to switch.

If Mama ain't happy, then nobody happy.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's just the point though: I don't think everyone is on board with you guys' idea of how people are going to react. Maybe in *your* circles people react a certain way. In mine, they don't. Who knows how they react in his.

Like I said, I don't even wear a wedding ring and I've never had anyone give me the slightest sideways glance about it.

4. RickStain

Agreed. But in the original post, he didn't get any flack from the bride-to-be. He got it from some jewelry dealer who needs to mind her own business.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do the people you might expect to give you a sideways glance actually KNOW that you're married? Are these people you walk past on the street or your actual friends?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really?

7. RickStain

Oops. Reading is hard. He needs to worry about what the fiance wants.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I mean, that's where I'm at. If she's cool with it, fuck the world. But if SHE'S going to feel disrespected by it, then he needs to figure out if his physical comfort or his eternal happiness is more important to him. :D

9. 93Devil

If I tell people that I am married and I do not have a ring on, yeah, I think it merits a sideways glance. Not from everyone, but I would expect some will. If I was a salesman, I would probably wear one on business sales even if I was not married.

Some people who work a lot with their hands (HVAC, auto mechanics) will not wear one because it gets caught a lot in tight places.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That question was meant for Rick. Sorry.

11. 93Devil

Fuck it. I was answering it anyway.

Has it been answered why one hand is more comfortable than the other?

I realize this is on a tee.

12. RickStain

I guess I don't know. When I'm walking past people on the street, I've never stopped and checked with them to see if they are giving me a dirty look and if it's about my marital status.

At anyone I actually meet and talk to, Mrs. Stain gets name-dropped pretty quickly because she's well-known and popular in this small town. I get as much mileage out of her considerable social skills as I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted