1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Ring Tradition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It will be an awkward ring ceremony. Your poor bride will have to reach across your body to put ring on your finger and will be at great risk of tripping and doing a face plant. It would be like seeing a baseball team with a left handed catcher.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Russians wear wedding rings on the right hand.

Wearing one on the left means you are divorced.

Caused the minister to do a double take when his request to "Please place the ring on her left hand" was met with a "Nyet."

So . . . wear the ring wherever you damn well want to.

And who the hell needs to "conceal" that they are married? It ain't like women look at a ring on the left hand as a stop sign.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This brings me to my other question.

Who the hell wears a wedding ring if they're NOT married?

Is there some secret society of people who switch the ring to their right hand and, in the eyes of women, it disappears? I don't get it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some do. Some look at it as a challenge. Which percentage goes which way depends on who you ask.

And wearing it on the wrong hand is pointless. It simply isn't symbolizing what it is meant to symbolize if he does that.

Rick keeps saying he should do what he wants, but the truth is, wearing it on the left hand means something. Wearing it on the right hand does not. He can try saying the word "cat" when he means "dog," too, if he wants to. But it won't mean what he wants it to mean.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

you still had the box to fill it with shit, right?

6. schiezainc

I'm not going to get into a pissing match here but what gives anyone the right to decide what my wedding ring means to me if I decide to wear it on my right hand?

If I decide to forgo a wedding ring and get a diamond-encrusted cock ring to show my love, that's my choice.

I don't get why I have to conform to other people's ideas of what is right or wrong in order for my vows and my ring to mean something.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wore mine on a chain around my neck after it gave me really bad eczema on my hand. My wife never seemed to have a problem with that.

Someone suggested I replace the ring with one I could wear safely on my hand, but I didn't want to. It wouldn't have been the ring she gave me on our wedding day.

Moot point now, of course. But I do still have the ring. As crass as I can sometimes be, I can't bring myself to throw it away or sell it.

In other news, did you all hear that BP finally stopped the oil leak in the Gulf? They put a wedding ring on the pipe and it immediately stopped putting out. ;D

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You don't have to conform to anyone's ideas. You will have to put up with "Are you married? Why's your ring on the wrong hand?" on occasion for the rest of your life. Whether wearing the ring on your left hand or answering questions about it being on your right hand is more annoying to you is your call.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why get married at all if you're not interested in observing conventions and traditions? That's all marriage is.

10. schiezainc

Because I'm interested in observing the conventions and traditions that I place an importance on, not the stupid, idiotic ones like what hand my ring goes on.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hated the thought of wearing a ring. Hated it. But when I got married, it didn't seem to matter too much anymore. Weird. :)

Congrats on the wedding! Wear the damn ring on whichever finger you want, man.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm not expert, but I've never heard of anyone in North American wearing it on their right hand. In some Eastern European countries, yes, but not here.
    A wedding ring on your right hand is just a ring.

The biggest reason to wear it on your left is because that's what the bride wants apparently. Like 99.9 percent of everything about the wedding, it isn't about the groom.

Draft saved Draft deleted