1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Ring Tradition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Fiance and I just got back from getting our wedding rings and I've got a question.

When did it become socially reprehensible to consider wearing your ring on your right hand?

I had to be sized, obviously, and the lady at the counter of the jewelery store gave me a look of disgust when I told her I planned on wearing it on my right hand.

She then asked me why and I told her I prefer rings on my right hand to which she and my fiancee went on this long diatribe about how it's supposed to be on the left hand to symbolize blah, blah, blah.

I'm sorry folks. I'm a guy. If it's not some sort of sport and/or hasn't been mentioned in the plot of an episode of Seinfeld, I'm likely unaware of it.

Married folks, am I just young and stupid. OK, let me correct myself. Am I just young and stupid AND ignorant of the facts here? And, if so, who gives a flying fuck about putting a Wedding Ring on your right hand instead of your left?

Who made up these unwritten rules and what's the big deal?

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I think Greek women wear their ring on the right hand.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Shit. If only I were a Greek woman!

4. dieditor

dieditor Member

As an engaged guy myself, I wondered the same thing. Enter Wikipedia:

"The left hand is also used for cultures that believe in the vena amoris or "vein of love" that is believed to be found in the left ring finger. However, the most widely accepted explanation is that because the majority of people are right-handed, wearing the ring on the left hand makes it less likely to be damaged or lost during everyday activities."

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Never heard of anyone wearing wedding ring on their right hand...unless they were tryng to conceal the fact that they were married.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, you're just young and stupid. Or maybe just stupid, I don't know how old you are.

Why is it worn on the left hand? Probably because most people are right-handed. Or because back in the day people believed a vein went straight from this finger to the heart, and the left hand is closer to the heart than the right hand.

7. wearing it on your right hand signifies you're gay

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And even this does not work if you've been out in the sun.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's the tradition. I've never heard of anybody wearing a wedding band on his/her right hand.
    If you're going to wear a wedding band, you wear it on the right hand.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My ring is in my nose, rending this discussion moot.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Smartass answer: As soon as you wanted to do it.

Real answer: I never knew it WASN'T socially reprehensible. I've never heard of anyone wearing it on their right hand.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Correct. Gay or European.

Draft saved Draft deleted