1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding registry help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The man knows of what he speaks.

Cash is the gift that keeps on giving.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We have a pretty big variety of prices. Everything from $7.00 to $299, to be exact.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If the Earth ever stops turning and I have to go through this type of thing, I hope to avoid much of the traditional stuff like this.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I just got married over the summer.
    We registered at Macys and Bedbathandbeyond.
    We didn't register for every fancy little thing that the stores suggest. We kept everything reasonable and got the vast majority of stuff on the registries.
    Keep in mind what you'll actually use and don't register for stuff you won't use just so people will have it as an option to buy. For example, some registries suggest registering for a bread maker or a capaccino set. My wife and I don't drink coffee or capaccino and we don't want the hassle of making our own bread, so neither appeared on our registries.
    This piece of advice from WildBilly will be most valuable when assembling your registry: "Stick with the basics, and you'll be fine. Cookware. Glassware. Sheets and linens. Dishes. We added a top-of-the-line blender and food processor to those, and we use them on a daily basis."
    Contrary to WildBilly, don't be afraid to put those $20 items or items that cost less on the registry. We had a bunch of $5-$10 kitchen gadget items from BedBathandBeyond on our registry and someone bought all of them as a package gift. Most places charge a bunch of money for gift-wrapped shipping, so that $20 item can become $35-$40 once tax, postage & handling, and gift wrapping is added in.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Does anyone outside of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan make their own bread?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Cash is good. We bought furniture.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I bake and cook almost every night, so for me, the kitchen stuff is going to be where I have the most fun. Maybe that's why I am excited about the cutlery and extra knives I picked out. The first thing that went on my list of "wants/needs" was a good counter-sized cutting board. I would actually love a bread-maker. I grew up with my mom making bread all the time. It made the entire house smell amazing.

I am SO glad I posted this. I have gotten a lot of good ideas from this. One of my friends and I were talking and he asked if we'd put a toaster-oven on the list. He said warm subs are the best thing he's ever had and they are perfect coming from a toaster-oven. I think we'll register at quite a few places. We have a lot of people coming in from all over the country...from New York to Portland, so the online registries will be really important. You all are wonderful...giving great advice. Keep it coming if you have any. :)

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto.

Give me some cash, I'll let you drink some beer and we'll call it even. Anybody who I can sucker into would be interested in marrying me likely will feel the same.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The wedding I remember is where the groom sang the song he had composed for his bride.

Now he's HIV-positive.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Buckdub, you can feel free to give me some cash and we'll let you drink beer all you want. Open bar at the spup/doc wedding extravaganza. :D

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Put anything and everything you might want on the registry. At Target, put a TV, DVD player or golf clubs on there.

A buddy of mine aimed the little scanner at a four-pack of duct tape, just as a joke. He got more than 30 rolls of duct tape included with various other gifts.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Actually, registering for cutlery would be cool.

"In Japan, the foot can split wood. But can it cut a tomato?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.